Chapter 8: Crazy in Love

Summary:

Love Crazed fools take control of their own destiny

Notes:

Got me looking, got me looking, so crazy in love

Chapter Text

Edwina did not go to the village to buy gloves. She went to meet Thomas Dorset at his country cottage. Thomas did not have many servants and received her directly. He took her to his sitting room and said, "My lady, I am thankful that you came to see me after the unfortunate confusion with the Viscount. I offer my apologies for my actions today, I should have waited for Lord Bridgerton's permission before courting your sister."

Edwina said, "Mr Dorset, I wished for a private audience so that we could discuss the situation openly and without any interference." Thomas Dorset rose from his chair and closed the door to his sitting room. "My lady, please rest assured, I will not betray your confidence.

Edwina shook her head and explained "Mr Dorset, I am not here as the viscountess but as Kate's sister. I came to ensure I understand your intentions. And, If I am assured of your intentions then I will be your greatest ally.' Thomas was intrigued. "I will endeavor to provide all the information you seek. However, I am unsure if Anthony will change his mind.He has always been very stubborn "

Edwina stood up and walked to the window. She took a deep breath and turned around to face him again. She started "Mr Dorset. You know the viscount as your friend. I know him as my husband. I know that he does not believe in love, he sees marriage as a means to fulfill societal expectations and fulfill obligations to one's family, to beget an heir. But I do believe in love. You are a good man and you intend to court my sister so I have to ask you. Can you love my sister? Are your intentions of courting her, guided by your affections. Or are you looking for a wife only for your obligations, or perhaps for the dowry we will give her? I don't want her to give up her independence and get into a marriage only for the duty of providing children or for running a household with no place for love. I am living that life and cannot wish it for my sister."

Thomas was himself surprised by the words that came out of his mouth "Only a fool of a husband would not love you" Edwina looked at him shocked "How dare you sir?" Thomas started apologizing profusely 'My sincere apologies, I did not intend to offend you. I was greatly surprised by your declaration"

Edwina was intrigued "I demand an explanation sir". Thomas continued trying to appeal to her "It is apparent to anyone who has been in your presence, how exquisitely beautiful you are and yet have no pride or vanity. You have a loving heart and have shown utmost devotion to your sister and your late mother, may she rest in peace."

He shook his head and started again, unable to believe that he had to explain this to her "You have many talents yet, you do not lord your accomplishments on anyone. The queen herself recognized you as her diamond. You treated every young lady, even the ones who were envious of you with kindness. You are a flawless diamond. Only a fool could not love you."

He saw Edwina walk back to her seat and sit down clearly shaken by his words. He could not stop himself and continued "I beg you to not think of me harshly. My friend Anthony was intent on courting you and he made that very clear from the outset. That is why I did not court you, I could not think of putting our friendship at risk. But If I knew, he did not intend to love you like you deserve to, I would have fought him for you.

I would have courted you, I would have fought him for you, but I thought you were happy with his proposal. I am not a Viscount, I couldn't offer the life he offered. I tried to forget you, but I couldn't. He invited me to your wedding but I was too jealous to attend, I went to Egypt instead"