Chapter 9: Hey Lord, you know, I am tired

Summary:

Runaway dreams turn into a nightmare reality

Notes:

Hey, Lord, You know I'm fighting
I'm sure this world is done with me
Hey, Lord, You know it's true

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

Kate's hands shook as she read and then re-read Edwina's letter. Her sister had made a terrible mistake that would destroy her. She was naive, full of romantic ideals and ignorant of the harsh realities of this world. Scoundrels could easily prey and then dispose of her. How could Kate have been so blind to what was going on with her own sister? If she only talked to her about what she was thinking, she would have helped her see that annulment was a better option than running away.

Anthony came back as soon as he received the news from his footman. He went straight to Kate who gave him Edwina's letter. He read the letter, gave it back to Kate and said "It is not your fault. She made her choice." Kate was distraught "It is my fault. I should have known. I could have saved her. I was too self absorbed to see. She told me you didn't love her, I should have pushed to see if she still loved you, but in my guilt, I shut her down. I told her to read a different book! She could have gotten an annulment, she would still be safe. I am responsible for all of this. She is too naive, she does not know of the evils of this world, someone will take advantage of her. She will be ruined or killed." Kate started sobbing again.

Anthony tried to find words of comfort but came up short. He looked at the door, no one was there, he quickly closed it and sat down next to her and hugged her. He finally said " Kate, it is not your fault. I could have talked to her as well. I should not have married her to begin with. But what is done is done. My men heard reports she was seen heading north with another man. The people who helped their carriage thought she was traveling with me and didn't look any further. I dont think there is much we can do waiting here. My men will continue looking for her but I need to head back to London. I need to talk to my mother before she reads this in the newspapers."

Kate asked, "Should I wait here, maybe she will realize her folly and return soon?" Anthony shook his head "I wish I had your optimism but it is unlikely. All of it seems well planned and she had help. Now, I have to see my family, I cannot hide here and leave them exposed to sharks. My mother would be distraught. My family needs me, and I need you by my side." Kate replied "I will prepare for us to depart" and walked off to tell the staff. Kate could no longer selfishly only think of her own sister. She had to consider Anthony and his family.

By the time Anthony and Kate reached London, the rumors had already started swirling. Kate thought best to wait in the foyer but Anthony led her to the sitting room and talked to his mother. If Violet Bridgerton was shocked or scandalized, she didn't show it. But, she had a disdain on her face, as if it was all Anthony's fault. Kate wanted to defend Anthony and argue with Violet but she bit her tongue and looked away. Kate was given a room in the manor as she was still part of the family. Violet was kind to her, but Kate could not bear her own guilt.

A little while later, Eloise and Francesca stopped by to give her company. They were very affectionate towards her and stayed with her till late at night. But that just increased Kate's guilt. Any scandal that affected Anthony would affect his sisters as well, Eloise, Francesca and even Hyacinth who was just a child would be tainted by scandal even though they were completely innocent.

The next morning's newspapers published the gory details. The Queen's diamond ran away just a month into her marriage. Another newspaper reported witnesses who saw her with the Viscount's friend Thomas Dorset. They were seen buying travel papers with fake names. Some of the gossip was particularly vicious, questioning his judgment, his character, some made tawdry remarks about his prior reputation as a rake, since his newlywed wife took a lover under his nose. Anthony Bridgerton was reduced to a punchline and his family was at the center of the biggest scandal England had seen in many years.