Chapter 13: How I ran from everyone

Chapter Thirteen: How I ran from everyone

Edited and Rewritten

The room is silent as Caleb strolls to the seat beside Eugene, directly across from Nathan. I glance up at Nathan, who is staring at Caleb, with hatred and contempt burning in his eyes. I have never seen Nathan look this angry and hurt. I turn to Rosie; she's concerned as she glances from her father and Nathan.

"Eugene," Lillian says, her voice full of disappointment as she looks across at her husband. Eugene looks at her, opens his mouth but doesn't say anything.

Caleb completely ignores the looks of hatred he receives from Nathan, which seems to fuel Nathan's resentment. I take a deep breath as I look at Nathan's clenched fists, and I decide to speak up.

"So, Caleb, what do you do for work?" I ask him, and he looks at me, with a glimmer of egotism in his eyes, that someone was finally turned the conversation to him.

He puts down his champagne glass, "Well, I work in development and architecture; my company is one of the biggest in America for designing new buildings,"

I can feel Nathan looking at me as I nod my head in reply to Caleb. "So, now you are working with Mr Alexander and his company,"

"Yes, he's the biggest developer in the country," Caleb tells me, and I glance at Eugene before looking back to Caleb. "So, that's why it was a logical choice to join with him for our new client,"

I take a sip of my champagne before focusing back on him, "But do you really think that you have the backbone to keep up with the largest developing company. Because no offence meant, but to me, you don't seem like the type,"

Rosie chokes on her champagne, and Lillian covers her chuckle with her hand. Elliot looks amused as he smiles at me, and Noah laughs into his champagne glass. Nathan looks at me with happiness in his eyes, and a snicker leaves his lips.

"How dare you!" Caleb states cleared aggravated, and I feel my stomach twist in anxiousness as I jump at the sound of his harsh voice. My confidence disappears, and I feel panic take over me. I put my hands on my lap, and I play with the hem of my shirt fretfully.

"That's enough," Eugene calls over the room, and no one makes a sound. I look up at him under my eyelashes, still uneasy. "Nathan, I apologise if I have made you unhappy with my choice, but no bad intentions were meant. It was and is purely business,"

Nathan sighs before looking at his father, "It's okay, I understand,"

Caleb smiles smugly at Nathan and me, and I roll my eyes. Rosie leans closer to me, and I turn to her.

"That was so funny; he is such an ass," Rosie whispers to me, making me giggle. "I can't believe he is working with my father after Natalie cheated on Nathan with him,"

"She cheated?" I whisper back in shock. I watch her eyes widen in surprise.

"Oh, god. I thought you knew," Rosie says lowly. "Please don't mention it to Nathan as I don't want to upset him any more than he is,"

"I won't", I smile lightly. "Natalie and Caleb are horrible people,"

Rosie nods, and I sit up straight before looking at Caleb, who is glaring at me. I smile before taking a drink of my champagne, I tip my glass to him, and he turns away. The dining room door opens, and two well-dressed butlers come through the doors, carrying dishes in their hands.

"These are traditional Malaysian dumplings," Lilian tells me as the dish is placed in front of me. The smell of them hits me, and my stomach cries out of the food and my mouth waters in reply to the delicious aroma. "My grandmother taught me the recipe, and it is passed down throughout the generation of the family."