Chapter 16: How I confronted him (NEW)

Chapter Sixteen: How I confronted him

Newly added chapter (2021)

Swaying back and forth as I sit on the porch swing, reading the beautifully bound copy of Jane Eyre that Nathan had given me. I absentmindedly kick the remaining snow, which is mainly slushed with my feet. The February wind is chilling, but there is a warmness to it as it slaps around my cheeks. I long for the warmth of summer, for the long nights and even longer days.

I have just returned home from work and found the house empty with David, nowhere to be seen. I had changed and came out here to collect my thoughts about the last couple of days. David is refusing to apologise for missing our anniversary and him cheating on me with Stephanie.

I can feel the despair and hatred towards him for his behaviour starting to build, and I close the book over and place it on my lap as I swing back and forth. I close my eyes, the wind whipping around me in the silence as the pain stabs at my heart as the picture of Stephanie flashes in front of me. I don't want to hate him because if I hate him, then I am truly alone as I have no one else.

A taxi pulls up in front of the driveway, and David stumbles out before carelessly throwing money at the driver through the window. I look up at him as he pulls his coat around him to fight the chill in the air. Tears absentmindedly fall from my eyes, and I quickly brush them away.

He doesn't even look at me as he walks past me into the house. A shaky breath leaves me as my chest feels tight as I try to gather the strength to take the few steps into the house and talk to David about last night.

My hand reaches for the door handle, and I breathe in the cold air before opening it. David sits on the couch, his feet on the table and the television remote in his hand. I walk into the living room before standing in front of the screen. He moves his head, trying to see around me as he flicks through the channels.

"David," I say, trying to get his attention. He groans, ignoring me. I feel my chin quiver, but I push through my fear. I clasp my shaking hands together, and I take another breath in.

"David, please turn the TV off; we have to talk," I say firmly, and David slowly takes his eyes from the television screen and turns his stern gaze on me.

"About what?" He questions, turning the tv off and marching through the kitchen. I follow him, and he opens a beer as he sits down at the counter.

"About a lot of things," I say, and he groans, rubbing his eyes.

My breath shakes as I watch his behaviour and how he reacts to every word that leaves my mouth." About last night, how you forgot our anniversary, about how much you are drinking and most importantly about Stephanie,"

"I'm not going to talk about that stuff right now,"

"David, I need to talk about this just now. I have put up with a lot of stuff over these past eight years," I say to him, my hands trembling and my voice almost breaking. "Please, just talk with me,"

He gestures for me to continue and crosses his arms across his chest. I swallow hard before looking at the floor. I take a deep breath in as I try to build up the courage to talk.

"Come on!" David barks at me, and I flinch.

"You hurt me, " I blurt out, and he turns to look at me slowly. "You were late for our anniversary dinner, and then you left to be with Stephanie, "

"That wasn't what you thought, " David tells me, and I look at him, confused. "I had to go help Nate with something,"

"So, you didn't sleep with her?" I ask him slowly. I watch as his eyes shift, and he rubs the back of his neck, uncomfortable.