Chapter 3: How I found an old love

Chapter Three: How I found an old love

Rewritten and Edited

Staring into the bathroom mirror, with tears soaking my cheeks, I began to clean the blood off my face from my morning beating. It was my own fault; I just need to get better at keeping the house tidy.

I use concealer to cover my fresh black eye, before putting on the foundation to try and cover the slight bruise on my jaw. With a sigh, I finish off my makeup before getting dressed in the same black skirt from yesterday, and I button up a fresh, clean baby blue shirt.

I tiptoe down the stairs and step into my heels. I glance towards the kitchen, and I see David standing at the cooker frying bacon. I sneak into the kitchen, trying not to annoy him with my presences.

"Grace," David smiles as he turned around with a plate of bacon and eggs. I take a wary step back as I observe him, waiting for the slightest thing to set him off. He places the two plates on the table before pulling a chair out and nodding towards it, gesturing for me to sit down.

With a slight, hidden frown, I sit down at the kitchen table. David pushes my chair in, and I feel his hands trail up my arms before resting around my neck. I feel my whole body tense, and I swallow hard, and I cannot relax until he removes his hands and sits beside me.

"Thank you so much for this breakfast," I say as I try to control the tremble in my voice. I smile at David as he glances over my face, and I touch his hand for a few seconds before he picks up his cutlery.

"So, you looking forward to your second day of work?" David smiles as he tucks into his breakfast.

"Um yeah," I reply as I shakily pick up my fork and pick up a piece of the scrambled eggs. "My boss is nice, and I have two friends,"

"Both females?" David questions with a raised eyebrow and a smile, but I knew by the look in his eyes, tells me that whatever my answer is will be incredibly important to what happens next.

"Yes, of course. Amy works on the same floor as me as part of the admin, and Mrs Welsh is the head of staff at the company," I say, as my voice shakes slightly, but I push the fork full of scrambled eggs into my mouth to stop the shaking.

"Good," David said while munching on a piece of crispy bacon. I begin to relax for the rest of the breakfast, as David made me laugh with his jokes, and I began to forget what happened this morning.

David leans towards me, and I feel his hand on mine as he kisses me lightly. I smile before resting my head against his.

"I need to leave, or I'm going to be late," I whisper before kissing him again. David nods before taking the plates to the sink as I pick up my handbag with my phone.

"I'll see you later; I love you," David calls to me as I quickly pull on my blazer and grab the car keys.

"I love you too," I reply with a smile before walking out of the door. I get into the car, and I can't help but smile as I see David picking up the beer cans and bottles in the living room.

I pull out of the driveway and use my windscreen wipers to move the fallen autumn leaves from my window as I drive out of the street. I drive out of the road, and I drive through the busy town as everyone rushes to get to work. I manage to pull into the company parking lot and use my pass without any hassle. I take a deep breath, preparing myself for my second day, as I no longer had the excuse of it being my first day. I flip down my sun visor, and I feel my stomach sink as I see a small gash on the side of my head - I can't believe I missed that this morning. It must have happened when my head whacked off of the bedside table.