Chapter 15: How I felt disappointment (NEW)

Chapter Fifteen: How I felt disappointment

Newly added chapter (2021)

The office is alive and bustling with workers hurrying to complete jobs by the end of the day. The sound of the copier beeping and the printer chugging as it pushes out an endless stream of paper. I smile to myself as I sit here at my desk, sorting out Nathan's schedule for the rest of February.

I stand up from my desk before walking into Nathan's office. He smiles at me as he looks from his laptop screen.

"I just wanted to remind you, Mr Alexander, that you have a business meeting in Miami on the twenty-eighth of this month, " I tell him, and he nods.

"Thank you," He tells me, and I smile before walking back to my desk.

I sit down with a content sigh, leaving my mouth. I glance around the office at the happy faces as they bustle about the office, the romance in their eyes as the office is filled with flowers and cards from their husbands, wives and partners. There is always something about Valentine's day that sets the air on fire. My eyes wander to Nathan, and he's sitting at his desk, running a stressed hand through his hair. I look around his office, and I notice that mine and his are basically the only desks bare of Valentines. I haven't spoken to him in-depth since I spent Christmas with him and his family. We have spent a few late nights at work together, which are always filled with laughter and conversation about mundane topics of work and life.

I take a five-minute break to go over my plan for tonight's dinner, as it is a special one. It is my and David's anniversary, on top of it being Valentine's Day. We are celebrating eight years of being together. I managed to squirrel away money to cook him his favourite meal to celebrate tonight. It will be a lovely surprise for him. Once I have a plan settled, I get back to working on Nathan's schedule and other jobs from the pile that seems neverending some days.

"You coming to lunch?" Janet asks me, leaning against the desk. I look up at her and Amy with a smile, and Amy smiles back.

"Yeah, just coming," I say, glancing towards Nathan, who looks at me before gesturing for me to go with them, and he points to the phone he is holding in his hand. I nod sadly to him before catching up with Amy and Janet; we then make our way to the lunchroom. The sound of the coffee pot, packaging of sandwiches and crisps being opened, and loud chatter fill the air.

I smile as I listen to Janet, tell a story about her little boy, Jackson. My mind wanders, and I find myself wondering how I can be so content and happy here, but once I step through the threshold of my own home - it is all destroyed, and sadness finds its way into every crack in my heart.

"He then told his teacher that she was a poopy-head", Janet laughs as she sips at her coffee. I chuckle as I look down at the small slice of lemon cake that I took from the cupboard.

"He sounds adorable," I say to her, and she smiles with a shrug.

"He has his moments," Janet replies, lightly with a matching smile of contentment.

I notice how jealous I feel of her. The joy of loving her child shines from her eyes, and the happiness radiating from her smile.

"So, what about you, Grace?" Amy asks me, and I realise that I have missed an entire conversation. I sigh before looking up at Amy. "What are your plans for Valentine's Day?"

"Oh, well, it's David and mines eighth anniversary as well as Valentines. I have planned his favourite meal and a relaxing romantic night." I tell him, and I pick up the lemon cake, biting into it. It is sweet with the right amount of sourness from the lemon. I smile, my stomach churns, grateful for food after not receiving anything in a long time.