Chapter 3

"Everything's going to be okay". She says and I nod believing her words and feeling safe in her arms.

No one says anything as they just let us hold each other in content. Tobin eventually pulls away slightly and smiles at me. I look and see the team has now moved away from us.

"Do you want to join us for the rest of training"? I looked at her shocked. "Join you guys? I can't join you. I'm not good enough".

"Hey, Makayla calm down. You are good enough. You saved my shots yesterday remember? You've got this. Just let me know if you want to and I'll ask Cheney".

"I'll think about it". Tobin nods and softly kisses my forehead before going to talk to Lauren.

While she talks to Lauren I try to sort out what the hell has happened in the last two days.

Tobin then comes back over to me smiling. "Cheney said it's perfectly fine for you to join in if you want to".

"I'm not so sure Tobin. I have a lot on my mind right now".

"I know and that's completely understandable, but maybe playing with us will take your mind off of it". she says smiling.

"It's worth a shot I guess".

"Come on let's see if we can find you anything to wear". She says and I nod. Tobin asks some of the staff if there's any spare kit that would fit me and after a few minutes I'm given a spare kit and gloves.

Once I've changed into the kit in the locker room I grab the gloves and head onto the pitch to see the team having a water break.

Tobin sees me and smiles and motions me over. I walk over to her and lean into her side. "Alright everyone let's go back out there. Also, Makayla is joining us for practice". Lauren says and everyone looks at me smiling before they go back to practice.

Ash, Tobin and Christen stayed behind with me. "Hey, you got this". Tobin says to me smiling. I nod and smile back at her. "You know Ash already and I'm sure she will help you out okay"? she says and I look to Ash who nods. I smile. "Okay".

Tobin and Christen then headed back onto the pitch, leaving me with Ash. "You ready for this"? she says looking at me smiling. I nod. "Yeah, I guess so".

"You're nervous aren't you"?

"Terrified". I say getting a chuckle in response. "That's completely normal but if Tobs thinks you're good enough to play with us then that's something. If Tobs believes in you, then so do I. Just breathe and try your best. That's all anyone will care about. If you try your best then everyone will be happy and proud of you".

"What If I don't"?

"They will be able to tell and will tell you to focus and play the best you can. They'll tell you to prove why you deserve to play with us today". Ash says and I nod.

"Okay".

"Okay, let's see what you got". Ash says and holds her fist out. "Don't leave me hanging". She says and I smiled and fistbump her.

We head onto the field and go over to the goal where Alyssa is standing with the goalkeeper coach.

"Hey Makayla, I'm Phil. It's nice to meet you and see what you can do".

"Nice to meet you too Phil".

We then go through some goalkeeping drills before the forwards and midfielders line up to take shots at us. Alyssa went first and then Ash went. Now it was my turn in goal.

"You've got this Makayla". Ash says standing next to the goal.

"Remember what I told you Makayla. Trust your instincts". Phil says and I nod.