28

As a free, single, independent, and strong woman, I had things to do than mope around. 

Today was sort of a rest day for me as I had no lectures, seminars, or tutorials to attend. I did finish my assignments and submitted them on time, which made me feel oddly buoyant after my focused burst of productivity. 

I wanted to walk aimlessly around campus but had my headphones on because I felt a bit self-conscious. I also didn't want anyone to talk to me. 

After forty minutes of strolling about, I went back to the lounge and slumped on a bean bag. 

Only to see Theo staring at me, and he motioned me to join him at his table. He was sitting alone. 

I had just gotten comfortable, so I shook my head and motioned for him to join me on the bean bag cushions instead, giving him a cheeky smile. 

He raised one eyebrow, shrugged, and walked up to me. H.e gently sat with his long legs stretched out and leaned on his arm closest to me, and I get a whiff of his cologne.

Damn, he smelt really good. 

"Hey," I said, suddenly feeling very shy. 

"Hey," He replied, his eyes trailing down my face. 

I didn't know what to say. 

"So, what's up?" I hated how stupid I sounded. 

"Just wanted to talk to you," He said easily. 

"Okay, then talk," I laughed nervously. 

His eyes crinkled, and he huffed a laugh as well. 

"Are you okay? After what happened with... with him?" 

"We're not together anymore, so I guess it doesn't matter,"

"You deserved better than him anyway," 

That stopped me. 

"Are you really sure about that?" I asked, feeling a little sad. I highly doubt that there are guys lining up for me. 

"Eleanor, do you... do you remember your time in kindergarten and elementary school?" he asked nervously, ignoring my previous question. He swallowed, looking as uncomfortable as he could be while maintaining a nonchalant, impassive gaze.

I was baffled. I told him the truth anyway. 

"No. That is so random, don't you think?" 

"Yeah, yeah, you're right, I was just breaking the ice, you know, getting to know you since we have mutual friends and all, best to not be strangers," he muttered. 

"Cool, cool, if you want to go for a trip down memory lane then why not? I was in Girl Scouts in elementary school," I offered.

"I was in ice hockey for as long as I could remember," he grinned. 

Our conversation flowed more easily from then. He was undoubtedly very passionate about the sport. It made him more attractive, knowing that he had clear life goals and a lust for life. He even looked excited when I asked him more questions about ice hockey since he loved talking about it so much.

His father had also been an NHL player, and while he had felt a little bit of pressure of maintaining the legacy, he found that he was also pretty good at ice hockey. To be fair, he started playing when he was four. 

He'd played in a lot of competitions but right now wants to also focus on his education. I liked that he was very aware of his privilege, and didn't get all defensive or dismissive when I hesitantly brought up what he thought of nepotism.