2. The Lightning

Author’s PoV

Varun landed in Coimbatore airport mid-day. Since it was December, the weather was so pleasing and windy. He covered his face with a hat and his bodyguard was holding him tight to avoid any fans touching him. Even though he tried to hide his identity, people recognized him. Soon he was surrounded by a swarm of people asking for selfies and autographs. Varun was not in the mood for this today. He was worried about his granny! His beloved granny. When his mom called him in the morning about her health, he felt scared in the stomach. Something was not right and he felt it in his bones. He canceled his shooting and other commitments for the week and flew to his home. 

“Please, make way. Not now!” his bodyguard tried to pull him out of the crowd. The airport security helped him get to his car safely. 

“Huh, big star! He is so full of himself.”

“Not even posed for a picture. He is so rude.”

“His success has reached his head. That is why he is showing this attitude.” 

People spoke behind him and he let out a mild smile thinking of these people. How easy it is for them to make a judgment of him without knowing anything just because he is into public life. 

“Sir, are you alright?” His bodyguard Dhilip asked him. He heard the comments too and it always makes him mad.

“It’s been years I became numb to these comments, Dhilip. I am worried about my granny!”

“She will be fine, sir. This is not the first time we have come running to see her.”

“True, but something is telling me that this trip is not going to be like other trips. She should be fine.”

“Take some rest, sir.” He told Varun as his house is located in RS puram and it would take almost an hour to reach there in the traffic. The government is building fly-overs everywhere in coimbatore and it has made the traffic into a nightmare. All the roads have been changed to one way and for people coming in after a long time, it would be like a maze.

“Why didn't you take Ammachi (granny- mom’s mother) to hospital? How is she?” He asked his mother who came out to receive him, as soon as he got down from his car.

“You know her. She refused to come to the hospital.” Lakshmi said.

“But ma, you said the doctor said her pulse rate is down. It is not time to heed to her requests or adamant meaningless rants.”

“You go and talk to her.” She left her son on the doorstep of his granny’s room.

As he entered the room, he saw Lavanya sitting on the chair, holding her head in her hands. She looked very sad. His granny was laying on the bed with her eyes closed. Her rhythmic ups and downs of her chest told him that she was sleeping. When Lavanya realized his presence, she looked at him with fire in her eyes. He could not understand her anger towards him.  He disregarded her and walked towards his granny.

“One minute!” She called him, standing up from her chair. She was raging in anger. 

“Pch, what?”

“Intha kelaviku arivu malungi pochu. Ammachi solluchu, Amma sonnanga nu thalai ya aatuna, aprom nan chumma iruka maten. (This old lady has no brain. If you nod your head stating granny said or mommy said, then I will not remain calm!)” She told him and stormed out of the room leaving him in a complete state of confusion. Her disrespectful talk made him angry as usual but he was to blame for it. She was calling him ‘athaan’ and it was him who asked her not to call him that.