5. A Plan Backfired!

Lavanya’s PoV

It is the day of Appatha’s discharge. She has lost some weight but otherwise, she is well. We have been taking shifts to take care of her in the hospital for the past week and so no one reminded me that I am now, Varun’s wife. God, I cannot even think of it without gagging. Now that we are going back home, I should prepare my speech to make my mom and dad agree to let me stay home until I finish  my degree. One whole year! Though the probability of them agreeing to it is slim at the moment, I cannot back down now. I just cannot imagine being under the same roof as him.

So far, all my plans have collapsed. Nothing went as I planned. He tied the knot around my neck. To everyone, it is a sacred knot but to me, it is a noose around my neck to my death. The only thing that I can be so sure of is that he would sign in any paper that would make sure that I am off of his back. Only that keeps me going. If my parents or athai or mama or appatha or thatha asks me to go stay with him, I am sure he will come to my help.

“Here, take this bag and go with your husband to our home, Vani. Make Appatha’s bed ready. Prepare ‘Aarathi’ plate for her.” My mom told me, stuffing my hands with a bag. My blood pressure shot up high at the mention of ‘My Husband’. My mom is literally pushing me to my limits. 

“Ok!” I grabbed that bag and went out of the room. Mama and my dad went to pay off the bills and athai and amma were cleaning up the room Appatha was staying in the hospital. Thatha never left Appatha’s side. I wished for a life like my Appatha and Thatha and look what I have ended-up with!

I went in search of ‘my husband’. He was signing autographs in a hospital corridor. He is an idiot who has no sense of place. People are sick here and he is showing off his stardom here. I just wanted to fist bump on his head just like he does to me everytime.

“Athaan.” I called him trying to swim my way through the crowd.

“Sir, my daughter is a huge fan of yours. She is in the room next to this one. Can you please come and pay her a visit? She would be so happy!” A mother was begging him. 

“Sure!” He said with a smile and went along with her after posing for pictures with the remaining people. He didn't even spare a look to me. Arrogant, Head-weight Idiot.

I walked behind him as a swarm of people ran behind him. This has been happening for the past week every time he came to visit appatha. Stupid people, stupid him. The sick girl looked terrible. Her face brightened up as she saw him. He went near him and gave her a hug despite her unclean outfits. People awed him and I realized that it was just a publicity stunt. He posed for a picture with her and wished her well. She never let go of his hand all the time they were talking. I couldn't even stand to see the sight. 

“Athaan, we have to go home. I will wait near the car.” I told him and walked out without looking back at him. He came after what felt like an eternity.

“How long do you want me to wait for you in this hot sun? Have you done using your charms on that girl? God knows how many girls you have in Chennai. Come, we have to go home to make things ready for appatha.” I snarled at him as soon as he came.

“Shut up. Who asked you to wait in the hot sun? There are trees and shades all around and your dumb brain made you stand in the hot sun. you redundantly prove you are an idiot. Get in the car before I kill you.” He raged more than me. His anger always makes my insides twist in fear and I instantly shut up my mouth and get in the car.

“Just get this, if you ever raise your voice against me, I will just kill you.” He said as soon as he moved the car out of the hospital gates.