Chapter 5 (Show of Dominance)

Keone

          His skin prickled as he entered the dark alleyway. He was being beckoned by Angel. This rarely happened. There the man of the hour stood, in his dark clothing and even darker gaze.

          Keone quirked up a brow. "You summoned?"

          "She's awakened." Additional context was not given. Not that it was needed.

          Her face popped into his head. Big, brown eyes. Thick brows. Plump lips. Curls and frizz surrounding her head. "Who?"

          A muscle ticked in Angel's jaw. "Watch. Your. Next. Words."

          Keone sighed, dragging a palm over his buzz cut. He hadn't seen Angel this pissed since, well... ever. "Where is she?"

          "In her apartment. Most likely traumatized and confused. With her lover." Angel unfolded his arms and removed something from the inside pocket of his jacket. It was a folded piece of paper.

          Keone accepted it. He opened it and read the words. "They filed a police report..." Blood tests pending. 

          "A witness statement. Notice how it doesn't mention anything about an attack."

          Keone stuffed the paper in his pocket. Too many emotions flowed throughout his body, landing in the pit of his stomach and the hollow part of his chest. The terror in her eyes was quickly followed by the life leaving them. Then, they closed and she was gone. He lingered more than he had meant to, but he left her there, a corpse covered in blood. "I fucked up."

          "You've only now come to this conclusion?" Angel chuckled. It was an off-putting sound that lacked any kind of amusement. "Had she spoken of the man with red eyes in an official, government document—do you understand the exposure that could have resulted? After all these centuries, I didn't think I'd associate impulsive or naive with my supposed top soldier."

           Keone looked down at Angel's leather boots. "I should have listened to you."

          "She clearly has no knowledge of the undying world. While she was and is a mystery, she was in no way a threat. We could have taken advantage of that. Now?" Angel shook his head. In the next second, he seized Keone by the throat and had him up against the nearest brick wall. He squeezed until the vampire was gasping. It was nothing more than a show of dominance—if he wanted Keone dead, Keone would be dead before the next blink of an eye. "Now, she will never trust us. After what you did, you may have just made us an enemy that I, Death, do not understand. That. Is. Not. Good."

          Keone was as tense as ever but said nothing, even as he felt his windpipe crushing. He doubted any words would satiate the seething Angel.

          "You're going to make amends. You'll do whatever it takes. You'll keep her safe." He released Keone onto the concrete. "And you will keep the undying from finding out about Ms. Jiménez for as long as fucking possible."

          "Yes, sir."

          Death took a step closer. "If you disobey me again, Keone..."