Chapter 24 (Twisted Her With Dread)

Renata 

Renata was just pulling on her sweatshirt when Tahoma knocked on the door.

"Come in."

He entered, raising his eyebrows at her briefly. She was immediately suspicious of him. "What?"

Tahoma walked up to her and stopped in close proximity. Renata had no choice but to inhale his clean scent and feel the heat of his body. He looked down at her and lifted his hand to tug at her sweater. "It's been a really long day for you. I say we've both earned a greasy burger and onion rings. What do you think?"

Right on time, Renata's stomach whined. He definitely heard it but didn't react. "You read my mind."

Tahoma couldn't have looked more pleased. "Excellent. It's a date then."

Okay, Renata wouldn't let that comment go. "A date?"

He inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. She was distracted by the movement of his wide chest. The image of it bare and dripping with water popped into her head and made her feel like a complete pervert. "Yes," Tahoma answered, "it's when two single people who are attracted to each other hang out, food hopefully included."

She nodded along as he spoke. "Is that so?"

Tahoma came closer, which made her stiffen. Not because she was uncomfortable, but because her body reacted in ways she wasn't quite ready to recognize. "Yes, Renata. If you disagree, it'd be best to say so now. Otherwise, we should go before the food gets cold."

He was giving her the opportunity to opt out of whatever the hell was happening between them. Considering her heart still wasn't healed and maybe never would be, the best thing was to run in the complete opposite direction of the downright sinful Tahoma. But...she didn't want to. "We wouldn't want that. After you."

When Tahoma smirked, Renata knew she was in for a world of trouble.

They began walking down a random hall after leaving the MRI room. Renata didn't understand why she was so uncomfortable as they got farther and farther away. Her skin was heavy, experiencing a type of pressure she just couldn't describe fully. But it got worse and worse until it was all she could think about.

They got in front of a particular door, and she stopped dead in her tracks. Tahoma watched as she studied the door but did not verbally question her. The golden numbers read '414'. It meant nothing to her.

"I'll be right back," she whispered as she twisted the knob and entered the hospital room. There was that familiar beeping. It was a slow beat. Renata was silent as the feeling worsened, and she knew it was because of the woman laying in the bed.

Something began to swirl inside of her. A force that was responding to this pain. Renata looked at the woman whose eyes were closed. She slept, but she did not sleep peacefully. Her face was wrinkled and some of her skin was deeply bruised and discolored with purples and greens and yellows.

Renata came closer and leaned over the woman. Her throat tightened with familiarity. No, she'd never seen this sick woman before in her life. But she imagined her as a child, bright with life and a breathtaking smile. It was an expression she'd come to hate because one of her front teeth was twisted. But she'd learn to smile again, after meeting her love, a small, quiet man who was unafraid to worship her imperfections.