Chapter 40 (margin of error)

Renata

She looked down at Keone, who was cleaned off completely. He slept on still, mumbling about water, mumbling about the waves, mentioning two different names, both said with tenderness and yearning. Mar. Kamea.

She watched his tan eyelids twitch, eyes whipping from side to side.

"I wonder," she whispered as she continued to study him.

Tahoma, behind her, who'd remained near silent the last hour. "What is it?"

She turned to look at him. His red eyes veered more toward purple in this gloomy lighting. Despite his alien environment, he was stunning. From all the action, his usually straight hair had slight waves framing his sharp-angled face. His black eyebrows furrowed. His lush, brownish pink lips were just slightly pursed in a frown. Considering the situation, his expressions of stress and alarm were pretty mild, which she appreciated more than he would ever know. "Can you sleeptravel?"

He shook his head. "No–well, not very well. It comes to some undying more naturally than others. I've only done it once or twice." His gaze shot toward Keone. "You're not going to ask me to pierce his dreams, are you?"

"No," she paused in thought again, "I wonder if I can."

"What would make you think that?"

She hesitated. "Keone mentioned that Angel can do it...if I really am absorbing his power–"

He mirrored her wavering demeanor. "You should be able to."

"Exactly."

"I don't know, priya. This seems risky–"

"Well, nothing about this situation screams 'safety', now does it?"

"Fair enough. I just don't understand why you'd want to get in his head, I'd rather rip it off."

She scooted closer to his sitting form until she was at his side. He slung an arm around her and pulled her closer. She embraced him back. "I don't really know what I'm doing. But he used to be his right-hand man. He could be useful."

He rubbed her shoulder in a back-and-forth motion. "Then, we should try. I'll try to direct you." He moved away and toward Keone. "Lay down next to him...get as close as you can. Make contact wherever you feel comfortable."

She did just that. She took his hand in hers, and it hit her that she was willingly holding the hand of the person who murdered her for the first time in cold-blood. "I must be out of my fucking mind," she muttered to herself.

Tahoma chuckled quietly to himself. "Now close your eyes and focus." She jolted when his hands touched her hair. She became confused but trusted him as he gently pushed his fingers through her curls and began to massage her scalp. "Deep breaths. Picture him in his deep rest. Imagine you seeking him out. Imagine yourself sinking into his dream land. You must speak with him. You are in control. This is not forceful, this is as easy as dipping your foot in the spring over there." She quieted and listened as he repeated himself for the next couple of minutes.

She zeroed in on the phrases and tried her best to follow his guidance. She felt safe enough in Tahoma's embrace, strong enough to face Keone, that she drifted off to sleep quicker than she anticipated.