Chapter 12 (Sign of Hope)

Keone

          He waited patiently, even though it would have taken little effort to break into Renata's apartment. He tried to erase the permanent scowl from his face, but he also had a feeling that his attempt at an easy-going expression would be terrifying more than anything.

          There was arguing on the inside. So, Renata decided to tell Diamond who he was? His chest constricted with shame as he picked up on Diamond's heated words. He pictured the hatred boiling between the two of them, bubbling and searing straight through the walls and melting into his skin like acid. Just as he deserved. And worse.

          "Diamond, stop!"

      Keone remained still as the door was ripped open. Diamond was flushed with fury, the redness of her tan skin only halted by the bright blue of her hair. She flew at him, but he didn't budge—maybe he should have, so as to offer her any kind of reprieve from her rage.

          He respected her heavy hand. Because as much as she was in an overwhelmed and volatile state, she wouldn't let that get in the way of hurting him as much as possible. Pain burst across his jaw as Diamond landed a right hook. "Get me the fucking gun, Ren!"

        Renata finally stepped in, and successfully so—she outweighed Diamond in muscle alone. Keone walked forward as Renata dragged the struggling woman inside. "Diamond, stop!" Renata continued her deescalation, though it was obvious all she wanted to do was let her loose. "This isn't helping anyone!"

        Keone shut the door behind him and said nothing. He could do nothing but accept all the words and violence targeted his way. He wasn't in any kind of position to defend himself.

        "Fuck you, you absolute piece of dog shit," Diamond spat. Veins were beginning to pop out of her forehead. "I will fucking kill you. I don't give a fuck what you are. God, where is your gun, Ren? I'll get it myself—"

          "I'm not—"

        But Diamond wasn't looking at her. She was staring straight into Keone, most likely willing him to instantaneously combust. He wanted to. It just wasn't his time yet. Then, Diamond stilled with a steady gaze. Both Renata and Keone were suspicious of her sudden quietness. "How does it feel?"

          Keone tilted his head in curiosity.

       "Being a coward? Knowing that you caused so much pain and suffering for a completely innocent woman—"

          "Diamond," Renata was pleading at this point. "Just stop."

         She finally looked at Renata. "You can't trust him. He's a fucking monster. You don't know if he's going to try to hurt you again." Diamond took her hands. "What about your sister? It sounds like she wanted to help."

        Keone had his eyes trained on Renata, who's expression was conflicted at best. Still, he didn't know how to make himself appear as a more appealing resource than the person Renata grew up with. If he lost her to Nirvi, and if Nirvi could somehow weaponize her—things were only going to get uglier.

          Renata finally refocused on him. "Did you know about her?"

          "No."