Chapter 8 (History of Friends)

Renata

          She pulled into the parking spot. A couple cars drove by as she turned off the engine. She checked the rearview mirror, doubling back when she saw someone standing a distance away, in all black. A year had gone—a thousand could have and it wouldn't have mattered—but she knew exactly who it was.

          Renata's body went into panic mode and rightfully so. Her eyes watered and she felt like she was incapable of taking a full breath. She popped the glove compartment open and removed the small revolver there.

          The air was stifling as she exited her car as calmly as possible. She looked around as saw no one else in their vicinity. Convenient. Her eyes landed on him. She studied him, really studied him. A solid six feet. Deeply tan skin. All black clothing—there was a strange material molded to the entirety of his neck, even covering his hands like thin, tight gloves.

          But she disregarded his sense of fashion and returned to those red fucking eyes.

          He can't take you, so I will.

       Now, Renata was shaking with something else. Unhinged rage. Pure hatred. A darkness curled around her heart as she stood by the trunk of her car, directly across from him. Her vision became hazy with the unchecked emotion coursing through her, burning through her. It had eaten at her unrelentlessly. A pretty face wasn't going to change what had been done to her. No, his face made her hate him more.

          She raised the gun, aiming right at his head. She was still trembling, but she had steadied more within the last couple of moments.

          He tracked every movement, revealing no thoughts, if he had any at all, which she doubted. His brows were set in a stern line, but everything else was placid and controlled. That redness burned with something, something raw, but Renata didn't give a fuck about that, so, she ignored it.

          Her voice was cold, giving steel a run for its money. "You've got six seconds, each second for every bullet I will empty into your head."

        He nodded. "I believe you." Each word was produced in level measure. The voice she had played on repeat was harsh, erratic, that of a demon, not this. Seeing him like this, acting as though he wasn't capable of atrocious violence, made Renata sick, delirious.

          "Five." She was tempted to start pulling the trigger anyway.

          "I can help you try to understand why you're immortal."

        Renata paused. She hadn't expected him to say anything that would remotely interest her. Even through the thick inferno of her fury, it was unwise to underestimate someone who was intelligent and dangerous, a deadly combination. Even if it was the person she hated most in the world.

         She wouldn't hold back in spite of her newfound intrigue. "All I want to do is watch the blood drain from you. I want to catch you off guard in the comfort of your home." Renata never viewed herself as someone who indulged in monologues, but she wasn't anywhere near finished. "Make you feel helpless. Humiliate you. Put the fear of God in you. I want to take a sharp knife and stab you three times. I'll walk away, like I'm strolling in the park. And you'll lay there, in agony, bleeding out until there's nothing left. And you will." She kept the gun aimed at him. There wasn't anything more true to have left her mouth. "That's what you need to understand, first and foremost, you coward."