Chapter 23 (Don't Worry)

Renata

Renata felt strange with all the different wires connected to her as she finished running the mile. Her body hummed with familiarity, though she struggled more than she thought she would. Some of her muscles had faded over the last two months of inactivity—much to her dismay.

Tahoma was off to the side, his eyes switching between watching her and the clipboard in his hands. She hoped that wasn't why her heart was racing so fast.

There were two doctors overseeing these tests with Tahoma. One, Jordana, who was more of a general MD, and another, Dominique, a data analysis and medical researcher.

The whirring floor beneath her slowed into a stroll. Once it came to a full stop, Dominique approached her. Dominique was tall and slender, with olive skin, big round eyes amplified by an oval shaped pair of glasses. Her chestnut brown hair was kept back in a long french braid. She had a dark purple birthmark that crept along the edges of her scalp, like a crown tattooed into her skin. "Your vitals are normal," Dominique informed her as she continued to tug at Renata's skin. "Considering you are of an athletic build, this does not come as a surprise. You're strong compared to the average woman, but you're nowhere near superhuman."

Renata was sweaty and nodded along and she steadied her own breathing. Jordana handed over a small towel, which Renata accepted and soon wiped herself down.

Dominique passed a quick look at Tahoma who still studied the clipboard. "And while you were in your coma, we recorded the duration of your healing process to be approximately one and a half hours—we're still not quite sure why you didn't awaken sooner." Renata wasn't sure she would ever clear up that mystery for them.

"Your body is basically unchanged, from our understanding," Jordana clarified. "We'll have to make sure there isn't any internal damage, but besides that, we don't have an explanation for your gift of resurrection." Jordana was much shouter, just under five feet was Renata's best guess. Jordana had a kind, cheery face complimented by a medium brown skin tone. Her lips were full as were the curves on her body. Jordana carried herself confidently, and with one look into her gaze, it was easy to assume her intelligence.

"How will you do that?" Renata addressed Tahoma. But the word gift echoed in her mind like a taunt. Gift my ass.

His eyes connected with hers. "We'll have to make a trip to a nearby hospital. We have many facilities here, but not that kind of heavy equipment. It's a fifteen minute drive at most. Is that okay with you? Perhaps tomorrow is better, you've had a full day already—"

"No. I could use getting out of here anyway." Renata waved a hand. "I just need to clean up. Gimme an hour."

Tahoma bowed his head briefly. "As you wish."

**********

Renata arrived at the front door. She removed her braids a couple days ago, so her messy, curly hair was out to play. Well, it was pulled back in a low bun and mostly covered by a silk scarf, but that still counted. She felt less underdressed than usual next to Tahoma in her matching gray sweatpants and crewneck once he walked up in a similar fit, except it was black and he was wearing a hoodie.

Tahoma watched Renata with that damn handsome face of his. He walked past her, brushing against her to open the door. "After you."