Chapter 18 (So Suspicious)

Renata

She just wanted to rest. She thought this as that familiar, haunted feeling sunk into her skin. The faint blue surrounding her was not comfortorting, because it was so close but not close enough to touch, not close enough to be consumed by.

This place in the middle and outside of all things would take her but not keep her. It would not keep her but it would happily taunt her, in her dreams, while she sat beneath the moon, during those times when she soaked in the sun. But the heat never got far enough. It would not chase away the pain and devastation in the face of endlessness.

Please, let me stay! She shouted at the black spec off to the distance. Whoever they were, they were a part of it all. They watched her suffer and did nothing.

I've tried, my dear Renata. Your soul does not listen to my commands. I cannot take you where you desire to be. I do not relish in your suffering. I want to end it, but I cannot.

This was the most they had communicated with her. She felt their frustration, but it was nothing compared to her desperation. I just want this all to stop. You can do that. You can make it stop. I know you can. Please, help me, please.

They hadn't come any closer but she could feel the warm breath of their sigh against her. Whatever you are, you are beyond my reach. I do not know how to help you or how to stop your resurrection.

Renata reached out. Just take me! She was screaming but her mouth did not move. I can't wake up! I can't take it.

I will do everything in my power to help. I will give you the rest you deserve, dear Renata. Soon. 

She was deflated and felt like she was imploding. I will go back, won't I?

You will. For now, stop fighting your return. Time does not work here the same as it does on Earth. Our little exchange of words has already cost enough.

This scared Renata enough that she listened.

While Renata was no stranger to resurrection at this point, it was just as terrible every time she returned. She breathed in deeply and looked around. She knew right away from the amount of machinery that she was hooked up to in the lavish bedroom was not a good sign.

She struggled to sit up. Her body was sore, but it was a body in one piece—the only remnants of her most recent death would be a light scar on her back and neck.

An alarm went off, probably from her fussing with the equipment. Renata jumped and rubbed her face in annoyance. The bedroom door opened, and the wood hit the wall with a bang. She smiled at Rocio, who threw herself at an unsuspecting Renata. They flew back into the mattress. Rocio placed pecks all over her face. "Oh my god, you're awake."

Unfortunately. "Yup, back from the dead."

Rocio's face was jaded and scrunched up with unsaid stresses. "Why did it take you so long? Keone said the longest you'd take was a couple hours."

Renata's mood soured at the mention of Keone, but then it quickly worsened with anxiety as she caught on to what was said. Time does not work here the same as it does on Earth. Our little exchange of words has already cost enough. "Yeah, of course. How long has it been?"