Chapter 32 (Greatest Sin)

Tahoma

He walked into his mother's room, following close behind her. Now that she was human, something about her was so fragile. She did her best to put on a brave face, she was brave, but he knew she was shaken by this transformation.

This was never in the plans. At least for Rocio, she'd only been a vampire for several years, but to Nirvi, who was the oldest of the undying, this had flipped her world upside down.

More than ever, Tahoma was extremely protective of his mother.

She went to sit on her bed, realizing that he had trailed after her. It occurred to him that she may not have realized he did because of his silent, undying movement. "Tahoma, I'm fine. You should get some rest. Clean up. I must admit you're looking disheveled."

"Thanks, and I just wanted to check in with my ma, is that a crime?"

She smiled with that loving smile, seeming older than ever. "Of course not." She patted the spot beside her, which he happily occupied.

He studied the room, impressed by the space of this place. Even the bed wasn't too uncomfortable. He put an arm around her shoulders. "I assume Balam has treated you accordingly."

"Yes, my son." She leaned her head against him. "You know how guilty she feels for what her father did to our family. That hasn't changed just because I'm human."

Tahoma made a sound of agreement. "How are you feeling?"

"Human."

"Sorry to hear that." Their laughter filled the room.

Tahoma knew the conversation would turn serious. "Tahoma," she began, "she is the answer to all of this. She can fix this."

"I know."

Nirvi leaned back so she could study his face. It was still strange to see her dark eyes, as he was so used to her red gaze. "Then, you know how important is is to protect her–"

"She's immortal–"

"From Angel."

Tahoma realized what she meant then. "Yes, ma."

He knew this was a moment to absorb Nirvi's wisdom.

Nirvi shook her head. "You don't know him like I do. He was my first companion. He was there during my initial years of undying. Yes, he can be cold and stoic, otherworldly at times, but something about him isn't right, and it isn't because he is the angel of death...when I saw him with Renata, the way he turned frenzied like a rabid dog at the prospect of her overpowering him, it became clear to me that he has become more man than Death. Occupying human flesh has always been his greatest sin, I know that now."

Tahoma reeled at this revelation. "You're right, and it's even more reason for Renata to take him down."

Her face turned suspicious.

"What is it, ma?"

"We could just be continuing the cycle "