Chapter 7: You Know He Likes You

Arielle sat at her desk. She typed yet another email to another man, likely in his forties, apologizing on behalf of Alexander Marquee. Her boss hadn't returned yet to attend any of his morning meetings. He was meant to be back within 30 minutes or less from his brief meet up with Devin, but instead Arielle watched as the time moved along without him. Thirty minutes quickly grew into an hour and rapidly became two.

Arielle's eyes wandered about the large office and finally landed on the coffee she placed on his large mahogany desk when she first arrived. It sat there without a coaster, something that would make her mother scowl, but a big company like this didn't prioritize the use of such things as her Latina mother did. A frown took hold of her face. It was getting colder by the minute.

She sighed and set another timer. If he didn't return in the next hour, she would have to send yet another email. It was good that Arielle didn't fear confrontation over business related matters. Besides, she had been in a fairly good mood. Her hair had actually listened to her this morning. The curl crème her mother bought her had proven to be worth every penny.

If it weren't for the obligation held by the boring walls around her and the steady paycheck promised to her, she would find a way to be in the great outdoors. The sun had grown closer to it's peak in the sky and taunted Arielle to soak it in, yet she fought the temptation and focused on the never ending paperwork before her.

It was much too quiet there as she sat alone. His walls were thick, so she couldn't even hear Susan's voice as she answered countless calls, no doubt coming through to locate Alexander's whereabouts. She began to hum quietly to herself as she tapped away at the shortcut from the company's supplier. Her mind drifted to God and the beautiful song she heard in church last week.

"It's Your breath, In our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise,
It's Your breath, in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
To You only, God.
Great are You Lord"

Arielle's humming had become singing rather quickly. She sung as she went over the supply numbers for the week and reviewed all of the orders she'd have to place for the AMI group. She found it to be a joyful experience to get lost in the music as she worked. Multitasking could be her strong suit.

The knob twisted and the door opened as Arielle had gotten lost in the worship song. It felt as though she had been transformed to a beautiful place where everything was peaceful again, yet the field she'd imagined herself running through slowly faded as the sound of shuffling feet grabbed her attention. She jumped in surprise and slapped her hand to her chest when her heart pounded. Alexander walked in. His expression seemed grim or at least it had been.

"You startled me!" Arielle exclaimed.

Alexander sighed. "I do apologize, Arielle. Really." He closed the door behind him carefully, as if to not frighten her any further. His eyes fell back onto the tan skinned woman in front of him. "You have a beautiful voice."

Her eyes widened once she realized that he had heard the humming that had likely grown into an all out belt. A light blush decorated her cheeks and she bowed her head in a poor attempt of hiding from his gaze.

"Thank you, Mr. Marquee." Alexander smiled at her. This was the first time he had seen her like this. Arielle had been a fairly forward woman, never truly taken aback like the other women who practically begged for his attention. Alexander marked this as win, even if it were a small one.

"Will you call me that forever? You make me feel as old as my father." He groaned as he sat in his black leather chair. He blew air out of his mouth and looked back towards her.

"It is your name." She responded with lifted brows. Pursing her lips, she racked her brain for another respectable title. "Would you prefer for me to just call you, Boss?"