Chapter 15: Italy

Alexander's hand could hardly be seen under the dim candlelit room light. His head lay nestled in them as thoughts of Lorenzo's schemes attacked his mind. The cynical man wouldn't leave him or those close to him alone.

Lorenzo had always been an enemy. Ever since Alexander entered his line of work, the platinum-haired man kept a careful eye on him. Never leaving him alone for much of his first year, constantly glancing over his shoulder, and for a time, feigning friendship. At first, it seemed to be a light-hearted business rivalry when Alexander took notice, yet it grew to the point of insanity. The beginning telltale signs of sabotage were uncovered just after Alexander's first year at the AMI tower. His success was the talk of the city. Within months, he had been interviewed by various magazines, and talk shows, and had been invited to speak at two prestigious college campuses.

It wasn't long before Lorenzo lost his cool. Their passive-aggressive rivalry quickly grew to that of full anger geared toward the young CEO. Like a feral starving animal, Lorenzo watched Alexander's every move. Going as far as planting employees, leaving Alexander to scope them out and fire them one by one.

It wasn't a secret that Lorenzo's business had been struggling to stay afloat for the past two years. Many of his sponsors pulled out from their business contracts, some willing to buy themselves out, just to not have their names tainted. Yet many of them found their way over to the AMI corporation and that infuriated Lorenzo.

Yet this was different. Alexander knew that. His leg bounced as he thought back to the notification he received on his phone. Arielle had been in danger and she didn't think to call or text him. Guilt ate at him. A woman whom he had feelings for, one who didn't reciprocate said feelings, now stood in harm's way due to his known affection. Two home invasions, yet this time, Alexander wasn't close enough to rescue her.

The thought alone angered him, he could tackle Lorenzo without a second thought if only he could find him. The cruel man had gone into hiding, likely knowing how enraged he would make him. Swiftly he came to a stand and balled his fist. He couldn't let this continue. Alexander had to find Lorenzo. He had to put an end to all of this. The tall coat rack held his thin jacket and in its pocket, his keys. He could leave tonight.

"Alexander?" A woman's voice called out to him. The darkness briefly hid her until she opened the door a little further, uncovering her bright eyes that could be seen peeping into his room.

He paused for a moment, glancing between the door and the coat rack. He sighed in defeat and crouched back down to a sitting position. "Come in," he called. Nothing he did would change the danger he placed her in and a small part of him felt that she wouldn't care to see him anyway.

"Are you okay?" The woman asked as she slowly closed the door behind her. Alexander looked up at the brunette who entered. Her light brown eyes were filled with concern as she watched his anxious form. He shook his head. Nothing was okay, but it was also out of his control.

"No, everything's not okay Emilia, but that isn't something you have to worry about." He answered her with a brief polite smile and reached for the small glass beside his bed. He hadn't realized how dry his throat had felt since he had little communication with anyone, save for a single guard and officers back home.

She pushed forward a pout, but nodded and took a seat at his desk. He could see her from his peripheral, playing with the random knick-knacks that were strewn about and sorting them to her heart's desire. Emilia was a beautiful woman, she knew that. Alexander had spent many summers dreaming about her, being foolish in his youth. She grew to be the exact woman he expected of her. Only one year younger, she still had an emotional maturity that Alexander admired.

"Emilia?" He asked, breaking the slightly awkward silence.

"Hm?" She hummed in response as she glanced at him.