Chapter 16: Teach Me How

The sun was high in the sky, shining down on the Bellagamba family as they returned home from church. Alexander walked slowly behind them, dwelling on thoughts as they wandered through his mind. The cross breeze along the mountaintop was refreshing and he found himself stealing glances at the vineyard below. The landscape and slopes throughout the small hills further down were pleasant to look at.

He wondered if he ever married, would his wife love looking at such a sight as much as he did? Would she find the lush green hills to be captivating too?

Yet along with those thoughts were questions around the idea of ever marrying. Would there ever be a person for him?

He stayed a couple of steps behind the jovial group of people. Along with them were Emilia and her mother. He caught her quick glances every time she turned back toward him. Her eyes held something deeper in them, something he hadn't seen in them years ago and he knew that she wanted to speak to him alone, but Alexander kept his distance, wanting nothing more to do with her strange analysis and questioning.

Besides, he found comfort in examining their contentment from afar. He hadn't realized how much he lacked it until he was surrounded by their joy. They had just left an early dinner. Church had lasted for hours, something he wasn't quite used to, yet couldn't find himself being upset by.

Wanting community felt quite too ambitious for the lonely man. The genuine joy and laughter that filled the air felt like something was missing from him. Witnessing it all though was rather intriguing.

Alexander set down his things in the large dining room, deciding not to retire to his room just yet. The bright summer sun shined brightly through the large sliding glass door, hitting Gabriella's cherished plants at the perfect angle. Yet regardless of their beauty or tranquility, he couldn't bring himself to ignore the thoughts of her that would travel to his mind.

"Dear, what's the matter? You've been down since you arrived." Gabriella Bellagamba's gentle voice could be heard as she peered her round face into the room. Her large golden eyes were filled with curiosity paired with the delicate smile that brightened her features. For a moment he felt like a young boy again- ready to relinquish his burdens at the feet of a parent such as herself.

She slowly entered the room, patting the sides of her dress as she did. "Is it because my brother canceled your meeting last minute? I can talk him for you-" She began seriously.

"No, no it's not that," Alexander replied with a weak smile. His eyes left hers as he shook his head. He didn't want to concern yet another person in his life. He enjoyed witnessing their jovial conversations and quiet moments of peace as they read to the young children just before the church had begun. That peace stuck with them throughout the day and he feared that pulling them into his chaotic world would strip them of it.

"Hm," Gabriella responded with hands clasped together in front of her. "Then what has gotten you so down? You've been this way for most of your trip." Her tone instantly reminded him of his mother. They spoke with the same inflections in their voice.

"It's too much to dive into." He sighed. "Besides, I wouldn't want to keep you too long. Doesn't Joe have a family night planned?" He asked while pushing forward a smile. It wasn't the most genuine smile, yet it was meant to encourage her to leave him there alone with his thoughts. Even though that was the last thing he wanted.

She waved her hand and laughed. "The fatigue hit him harder than it hit me for once. He's gone to bed early for the night. Now really, talk to me. Your mother would hate for you to keep all of that bottled up, whatever it is."

Alexander took a deep breath. He knew what she said to be true. His mother would simply not give up until she figured out what was plaguing him. He smiled as various memories of her asking her usual series of questions came to mind. It was always in a casual fashion, yet she remained unable to hide her motive of wanting to carry him out of his rut.