Chapter 11: A Walk Alone

Arielle had quietly wandered back to the secretary's desk with her warm coffee in hand. Alexander hadn't been open to any pleasantries when she had given him his morning coffee. He merely grunted in acknowledgement as his eyes remained glued to the stacks of papers that stood as tall as the large coffee cup itself. Her eyes quickly caught sight of details that she usually wouldn't, like the faint lines that were etched into his forehead. Years of stress, genius, and hard work were likely the cause of them.

His jaw line appeared stiff, as though his teeth were clenched while he focused. His lips were pursed and his shoulders were completely rigid. Arielle frowned slightly. She hadn't realized how long she had stood there until he began blinking more and raised his eyes to meet her. Arielle gasped and took a step back. For a second, his eyes were not hard and cold. His lips parted, preparing to say something.

She found herself feeling hopeful. She wanted to apologize, but didn't know when would be best. Yet her hopes for quick reconciliation were cut short as his phone began to ring. He cleared his throat and gave her a brief nod. She watched as a wall lifted before her eyes and it was as if she were no longer there.

Arielle played with her hands and glanced over at the small desk that she used to work from, before turning swiftly and exiting the large office. She could feel his eyes on her back, but she knew it would be useless to attempt her apology now. He was a busy man and she couldn't think of good time to pull him aside.

Arielle could see Susan's eyes following her from her peripheral. She didn't blame the older woman for her curiosity. Arielle herself would wonder why Mr. Marquee and her had been so bold to discuss this before an audience. She could only imagine what thoughts may have been flying about in Susan's head. What would come of it if she asked?

Arielle shook her head. No. It wouldn't be wise.

She recalled fighting her hands as to keep them from clenching. She didn't want the flurry of emotions to go on without her. She had to lead them or else- or else she didn't know what would come of it if she didn't.

Susan tapped her fingertips besides the ancient keyboard. She continued to steal glances at Arielle and watched as the intern closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. Susan frowned. She knew that look from a mile away. The secretary herself had battled a similar frustration and confusion before she had begun courting her own husband.

"So..." Susan began as she slurped loudly from her straw. Arielle cringed at the sound which was soon met with a sheepish and apologetic grin from Susan. She carefully set down her cup and clasped her hands together. Her eyebrows grew closer together as she appeared to search for the right words.

"Yes, Susan?" Arielle asked while gnawing at her bottom lip. Her eyes darted between the large office doors and back to where she sat. Arielle didn't plan the perfect way to share without over sharing. What could she begin with? What did Susan understand from their conversation? The witty secretary wasn't born yesterday and because of this, Arielle assumed that she knew more than what met the eye and likely more than what met her ears earlier too.

"So as you know, the elevator nearly barred me from my escape." Susan's opening line earned a raised brow from Arielle.

"No actually, I didn't realize." Arielle replied softly. The image of her bedroom filled her mind. If only she could be there now, curled up into a ball and hiding.

"I'm... I'm not surprised." Susan replied slowly. Arielle pouted at the secretary's response, but listened further. "I know it isn't my place, but I've never seen so much tension in one place before. It felt like I could cut through the air with a butter knife- a sock even!"

"Why would you have a sock?" Arielle asked quietly.

"Is that all you- never mind." Susan swatted the air. "All I'm saying is, it felt like I was sitting in front of my TV, 10 years in the past, watching one of those unnecessarily dramatic romantic sitcoms. And although I had always hoped for the two leads to get together so desperately- well it seems more complicated here."