Chapter 30: Forgiveness

Alexander sat in the front seat with his head pressed against the window pane. He felt the temptation to worry. It's what he used to do whenever something moderate or huge would happen. And this? This was huge. It was more than most people could take and he was convinced that those who didn't crumble under the weight also had a firm foundation in Christ.

How else could they stand and keep their heart intact? He stared as the scenery shifted from the woodsy escape he had gone to, to the plain large expanse of roads. The mountains in the distance were bushy and green. He was sure that Arielle would love the sight of them. A small smile fell on his face at the thought of her staring at them in awe.

She was always in awe of what God made. He wondered if she ever saw herself through His lens. Alexander knew that what he saw was beautiful and since he had begun seeking the Lord, he realized the depth of her character too. Her character was molded and shaped by the love of God that flowed through her. Her submission to Christ is what made her shine so brightly and it inspired him.

He let out a long sigh and turned his attention ahead of them. The dark paved roads curved and curved as they drove along the mountainside. The glistening rays of sunlight that glowed in between each leaf appeared as stencils of gold on the path before them. Similar to their very situation, it was a beacon of hope amid darkness.

As the minutes dragged on becoming a half hour and then a while more, they were gradually nearing the airport. He hoped that the flight would somehow be faster back home than it was to get where they were now. He could only picture how Arielle was doing.

Was she scared? He wondered.

Was her faith with her now, when she needed it most?

His brows furrowed and his eyes squeezed shut as he replayed Vincent's phone call. Meghan's frantic cries could be heard in the background. Her words were nearly incoherent, but he heard what he needed to hear.

"They took her!" Her cries had interrupted into sobs as she undoubtedly relived the moment it all transpired.

He had never heard Meghan cry like that. He'd always seen her cool demeanor save for moments of envy, but that had soon become the past. She had quickly let go of her affections or rather obsessions toward Alexander, and altogether her mood shifted dramatically. It took a lot to trouble her now, but that phone call proved that she was beyond troubled.

She was panicked.

Fearful.

Traumatized.

The moment he received that call, they all packed up with haste, and with absolutely few words exchanged between them. Jeremy held his head down, not making eye contact with them as they rushed back and forth. Alexander wondered what was going through his mind, but his curiosity sprung up once they were already in separate cars making their way to their flight.

Alexander sighed in relief as the airport came into view.

However, a new question popped up.

What would he do when he got there? Lorenzo had clearly shown that he was willing to cross many lines to get what he wanted. There was no telling what else he would do.

Nonetheless, instead of indulging in the queries that could fill his mind at a moment's notice if he allowed it- he decided to focus his mind back on God. The fast he had embarked on started a huge shift in him. Even bigger than before. He could see with such great clarity. One that he didn't have before.

He could easily say that he felt physically drained, and tired from his fast, yet before all of the new chaos, he never felt more alive. Even now, he felt a hope within him. He could sense that Arielle would be safe, but he couldn't remain stagnant. So there he was, readily waiting with his hand on his bag.