Chapter 9: Unexpected Church Member

Arielle walked into the crowded church building, bright and early Sunday morning. Her work week had been bland and strung out. She didn't run into her new found friend in awhile and she hardly spoke to her boss or Jeremy. Susan had become the only one that Arielle could speak to everyday, but Arielle couldn't help but feel like her work flow was hardly flowing anymore.

She felt his occasional glances as she worked and a small part of her wondered if she should request to be moved somewhere else to do her work in peace. It wasn't common for interns to work in the same room as their boss, but to be fair, Mr. Marquee's office was rather large. It could easily fit two family rooms within it, but with the both of them in there, working silently, it felt small- suffocating even.

Arielle smiled as the blended sounds of laughter and joy filled voices graced her ears. It was as if she entered a new world altogether as she passed through the wooden doors and the air from the large AC unit caused her dress to flow, mimicking that of an intricate dance. Smiles from various people in the congregation were aimed towards her. She saw the kind couple and their newborn waving over at her.

"Hi," Arielle mouthed from afar while waving back at the adorable family. The couple returned to their previous conversation, leaving Arielle there feeling blissful. Oh, she did hope for the day when she could be the one holding her own newborn with a loving, Godly man, by her side. She sighed at the mere thought of the life she dreamed of as a young girl. But Arielle refused to think of it any longer. She had fallen into idolatry towards that life and it was something the Lord corrected her on years ago. It was something that she would leave in the hands of God.

Her doe eyes briefly searched through the crowd. It was more packed than usual today and she hoped to find her best friend, Julia, amongst the growing number of people, but instead of finding her giggly friend, her eyes stopped halfway through their search as they landed on him instead.

Arielle's eyes widened in shock as she watched the gentleman casually speak with her pastor on the small church stage. His crisp dark suit practically exclaimed his wealth to any bystander with sight, yet no one seemed to take notice to the well accomplished CEO. Her mouth began to feel dry as a million questions flooded her mind.

Was he so angry with her silence that he came this far to get her to speak? Or worse, fire her? Or maybe he wanted to simply startle her for fun? What did billionaires do for fun anyway? Arielle wondered.

The tall, eloquent man that could easily buy this building a thousand times over, could have been mistaken with an average earning citizen if you ignored his attire. This intrigued her, although it shouldn't have. He may have had a large wallet, but he'd benefit from a community and love, just as she did. It was a small thought, but it held much hope. Maybe he would find the One true God that saved her and the One who taught her not to judge unrighteously, which sadly, she had done towards her boss and in that moment she repented.

The two men laughed and shook hands, both unaware of the woman staring at them.

But what was he doing here? Arielle thought again to herself. She didn't recall sharing the name or address of her church with him either, so it made Arielle wonder how he knew to even send his men here weeks before. Perplexed, she continued to stand there, allowing her mind to attempt in finding the answer.

A light tap on her shoulder pulled her from her thoughts. She turned her head to see her mother's confused gaze.

"Is everything alright?" Angelina asked.

"Um, uh-" Arielle paused and looked back up at the stage and then back to her mom. "I sure hope so." She mumbled. Although she had been keeping the conversations between her boss and herself at a bare minimum while at the workplace, she didn't remember to share that detail with her mother. She only wanted to remain polite and professional and hoped that she didn't do anything to upset the CEO, but now she wondered if she had only upset him further.