Chapter 29: Under His Skin

Arielle struggled to stay still in her seat as the car jostled back and forth in the road, hitting each pothole as they drove further from her home. Her eyes darted from window to window, pondering her fate and inspecting her surroundings to the best of her ability.

What could Lorenzo want with her? She wondered.

She blamed herself for being in this situation. She leaned on her own understanding and was all too trusting. She knew to think the best in everyone, but not without wisdom and guidance from the Lord.

So here she sat, wondering if she had simply stopped to ask God first, would she still be in this situation? Was there something bigger to this or was this all due to her lack of discernment in the past hour?

She thought to Meghan who had escaped the grasp of those who grabbed her and made a run for it. Arielle had stood still in shock in that moment. She could have turned and run too, but instead, she stood there, feet planted like a tall eucalyptus tree.

Oh how she desired to be seated under one of those and not on the squeaky uncomfortable leather seats of their car.

Lorenzo's eyes continued to look back at hers. They were cold and calculated. The coolness surpassed their natural blue hue to something more sinister.

Arielle watched as the trees of her small city slowly faded off into the distance and they were soon met with tall buildings yet again. Buildings that she hadn't seen in a while.

She felt more uneasy as the trip continued. A stirring in her gut caused her to want to curl into herself, but a small voice caught her attention.

"Pray," she heard.

With a small and gentle smile, she lowered her head a began to pray quietly. She first began to pray in her mind, but soon she was praying out loud.

She could feel something and she felt a sudden peace again and along with that a warmth. The vibration of the car and the bumpy roads seemed to melt away as she focused on Jesus. She could picture His eyes, much warmer than Lorenzo's, or anyone's for that matter.

A reflexive smile came upon her face and she continued to pray. "Cover and protect us, Lord. Soften the heart of my enemies. Show me favor in the eyes of those around me. Cover me under the shadow of Your wings and strengthen me with Your strength. Be my Rock and my firm foundation. Let no weapon formed against me prosper. Shield my family, and my friends, and convict the heart of the wicked. Allow them to feel your conviction so strongly, that they can hardly stand under its weight- that they cry out to you in repentance. Turn them from their wicked ways and set the captives free. I praise You, God, because You are good. I love you, Abba because you loved me first. Thank you Father for loving me. Cover us-"

"Stop it." Lorenzo spat, but Arielle didn't catch it.

"Cover us, Father. Cover us, Abba." Arielle continued.

The car came to an abrupt stop, lurching her body forward, but to her gratitude, her face didn't hit the seat in front of her. Her hair messily fell forward as well, draping temporarily above her eyes, shielding them from his angry gaze.

"We're here." The car door swung open, allowing a large blow of wind to make its way in. Soon that gust grew stronger as brighter light showered her. Yet he quickly stood in her path, yanking her out roughly with the help of the guard who had sat quietly on her right.

"What do you want?" Arielle asked.

"Ah, a common question. Is there ever an answer adequate to satiate the inquirer?" He practically sang with a sarcastic tone to his words.

"The truth. That is what I'm asking for right now." Arielle spoke calmly.

"Hm..." Lorenzo looked her over, pondering more than Arielle could decipher on his face.