I. Thirteenth Unearthed

Rejection was something Pierre Collins rarely experienced, but it sure hurt like hell when it hit him

What was he even thinking, going on to the Amelia Kingston-his best friend Mel-and asking her to be more than friends? That was too much to ask from her. That was too much to ask from him. He never had the guts to do anything extraordinary. What was the difference now?

He had high hopes that she'd say yes, only for that to be crushed. He hoped like an idiot, that was what.

'Paasa', like what my cousins tell me.

Pierre stopped behind a tall bush and sighed. Maybe he shouldn't have done it. Maybe he should've listened to that ominous voice in his head telling him he was better off being friends with Amelia. They were already doing great, but he had to ruin it. He couldn't imagine what Amelia was thinking about him right now. Whatever it was, he couldn't afford to end their friendship just because of what he said.

Especially when he was a freak.

Hopefully he'd be able to do something about it, but right now, he had a flight to catch and a bunch of balikbayan boxes to carry.

A small glinting object emerged just between his feet. Looking around to see if anyone was around, Pierre picked up the object, which turned out to be a gold coin.

"I'll have to get rid of this," he muttered before sliding it into his pocket.

Pierre continued himself out of the campus garden. It was a sight to behold, but now, it wasn't so great. He wasn't exactly sure why. Maybe it was his thoughts that made his surroundings bleak.

His thoughts were interrupted by a forceful impact on his front. He stumbled, only to see Zeus Olympian do the same.

Pierre scrambled toward him and reached his hand out. "S-sorry. I was spacing out and I didn't see you-"

"You won't get her." Zeus swatted his hand away. "She's mine."

"What?"

"You heard me," he said, almost snarling. "Back off."

Pierre stepped aside, his arms raised in surrender. Zeus deliberately shoved him aside by the shoulder as he walked away. When he was out of his sight, Pierre rolled his eyes.

What was Zeus even talking about? Wait. . . was it possible that he was talking about Mel? He remembered Amelia and Zeus hanging out in the gym a few months back---though he didn't see what exactly they were doing. Sure, the second she transferred to the school she became buddies with the Olympian siblings, but the two of them by themselves in the gym for a couple of weeks was weird. Amelia explained that they were doing some 'dance practice', but Pierre doubted that was the case. As far as he knew, it was highly unlikely that Zeus would join a club like the Olympian High's dance ensemble.

Well, that didn't matter now, since it seemed that nothing was going on between them and that Zeus was still trying to get Amelia, like him, but wasn't going anywhere. Amelia can be a bit dense sometimes, which, sadly, was one of the things Pierre hoped for her to change.