9

Current
———

"I just don't get it!" I groan, taking another sip of my liquor. I run my hands through my hair, pulling on the dried, unhealthy mess.

"Are you sure it's not somebody just fucking with you?" Felix says, dropping the delicate paper down on the counter.

I shrug. "That's what I don't know. I have no clue who could even be sending these. I don't even have a way to find out."

He raises a brow. "Don't you have cameras?"

I shake my head, taking another sip of the burning liquid. "I never got the chance to set them up."

He hums. He wipes the bar counter with a towel, then sighs and leans against it. "Then I really don't know what to tell you."

"But don't you think it's strange?" I ask. "Why suddenly, almost a decade later, am I getting letters from my dead ex-boyfriend?"

He shrugs. "Maybe somebody found them and decided you needed to see them."

"But why? Why? It's been a damn decade." I slam my hand on the counter. "You'd think the fact that he is dead and I moved away would mean anything? Why would you even send these to somebody?"

He sighs. "I'm sorry Minho, but I don't think it means as much as you think."

I hope I am just overthinking. I hope it isn't anything I think, maybe it's just his mom thinking she is doing a good deed. She was a nasty women though, so I sincerely doubt that.

"I think I'm gonna head out." I say, pulling out a twenty and putting it on the counter. "Thanks for the help."

He smiles and nods. "No problem. Take care Minho, please."

I nod to him, before heading out of the bar. I am not fully drunk, I am not even tipsy. So thanks to this, I don't feel guilty for driving home after leaving a bar. The drive is silent, but my mind is running a marathon.

When I get to the complex, I pull in and park my car in the closest stall to my apartment. When I'm waking up, I freeze and I feel my blood go cold at the sight of another letter at my front door. I look around, seeing nobody in sight. I pick up the letter and quickly head inside.

I take off my coat and throw my keys down without care, immediately running to the table. I pull out the other letters from my pocket, placing them down too. I break the wax seal on the envelope, pulling out the paper.

I don't even hesitate before reading.

Dear you,
From Jisung <3

You are so sweet.

It was hard for me to leave today, but I'm glad I did when I did. My parents actually were starting to get worried, so you were wrong when you said they wouldn't do so.

But nonetheless, I'm so glad today happened. It's not what I would expect my Thursday to go like, but I am not complaining.

I know I might sound selfish, but I am happy I am the one who gets to experience your first halloween with you.

Which while we are on the topic of it, why is it your first? I know everyone grows up differently, but how did you never experience a Halloween before? I don't want to pry, so I am not going to. I don't have to know these things, but I hope one say you are open enough to telling me.

AGHH Minho you are the cutest person I know.

Today when we entered the halloween store, when you sat there for a minute in your own world. I liked how your eyes lit up as they looked at more and more. It was probably a core memory for me, considering I have my two favorite things in one room. Halloween, and you.

And when we were sitting on the couch, when you stopped and just looked at me. My stomach did somersaults when you looked at me like that. I felt my cheeks heat up. I hope it wasn't so obvious.

However, what takes the cake is the last encounter. When I was leaving—sad that I didn't get to stay, you were admiring the night sky. I like how your eyes lit up looking at it. I like you a lot. I am starstruck by you, you know?

See what I did there?

Oh god. I'm turning into an old man with my words. I think I need to get some sleep, it's midnight and I haven't slept yet. I needed to write to you, but it took me a while to get started.

This is becoming a part of my nightly routine if I am being honest, so I might need to get a lock box for these letters.

Well, I am going to go to bed now. I hope you sleep well to, hopefully you got to sleep way earlier than me. Take care of yourself Minho, I wish you the best.

Sincerely,
Jisung.

I feel the tears fall down my cheeks as I finish reading this letter. I don't know why, but this one has hit the closest to my heart so far. I wipe my tears and take a shaky breath.

I haven't cried in ages. I haven't cried since you left me. I don't know why this is affecting me this much. I feel the tears become stronger, to the point I am bawling. I can't even breathe as tears soak the paper.

I think I need to get to sleep. I think the drinks I had are finally hitting, and I don't want them to hit this way. I need to sleep it off. I get up, running into things in the hallway as I make my way towards my room.

I take a cold shower, as an attempt to calm myself down. The warm tears and cold shower water bring me back to my childhood, when I would take showers to avoid the screaming and yelling.

I feel a thousand emotions at once as I finally get to bed. I end up feeling the drowsiness take over. I think I drank way too much.

Shit.