26

Current
———

"You need to stay off of it for a week, but other than that I really don't see any problems." The doctor says, checking off a box on his clipboard.

"Anything else to check up?" He says, enthusiastically.

I shake my head. "Nope. I didn't even want to come anyway." I smile at him, standing up.

I wobble a bit, but I eventually find my balance. The stupid boot he put me in isn't going to help me one bit.

He sighs and hands me crutch. "Take this. You'll need it."

I scoff, taking the crutch from your hand. "Thanks. Is that it?"

He shakes his head. "I actually need to talk with you." He says. "About what happened the other night."

I furrow my brows. "The other night?"

"You're overdose, Minho."

I am taken aback, inhaling a shaky breath. "I'm going now." I say, turning around immediately to limping out the door as fast as I can.

"Minho, my son told me everything. We need to talk." He says following me.

"You're son lied to you, I'm fine." I say, leaving his office.

I limp down the halls, making my way closer to the boy who brought me here. The doctor doesn't follow me, instead he watched from his office door. I can't believe he even tried to bring that bullshit up.

I limp to Jeongin, and he smiles upon seeing me. "Hey! Is everything alright?" He asks cheerfully, putting his phone in his pocket.

I fake a smile back. "Yeah, nothing major. He just said to stay off of it for a week. He gave me a brace to keep it in place, and told me to come back if it continues hurting after the given time."

He hums. "Thank god it's nothing bad."

I chuckle. "Yeah, and I even get a week off of work. So I'm thankful."

He giggles and stands up, "That's right. Not let's get you home so you can rest."

I smile at him, but a real one this time. This kid, Jeongin, lives in the apartment next to me. He is many years younger than me, and is attending a college nearby. He's the perfect example of a young Gen Z kid, except he is an angel.

He moved in last month and we immediately clicked. He always brought me sweet treats, since he likes to bake with his girlfriend on weekends. When he saw me limping, he immediately became worried.

I assured him I was fine, but he pushed me to get a check up. He even payed for it, saying it really isn't a big deal since my health is important.

He helps me into the car, then gets in himself. He starts to drive home, and I think about making an effort to start a conversation.

"How are you and your girlfriend doing?" I ask.

I can see him smile and get red, making me smile myself. This guy must be real in love.

"We are doing good, really good. She actually is going to move in with me next weekend." He says.

"Ohh really?" I saw. "How long have you two been together again?"

"Almost four years." He says. "We even have a dog together." He points out.

I chuckle. "You got a dog before you even moved in together? Is it like every weekend you get it?"

He chucks at that. "No, we lived together before silly. But she had to move back in with her parents for personal reasons."

"Mm." I hum. "Well that's good. I'm happy for you." I nudge his arm.

He smiles. "Thank you." He nods. "Actually though, I have a secret and need to tell somebody before I pop." he says.

I cock a brow. Deep down inside, even though I know he never would, I hope he isn't about to tell me he is cheating on her.

"I'm going to propose on our fourth anniversary." He says with a proud smile.

My mouth drops. "No way, that's awesome." I say. "How far away is that?"

"Six months." He says. "A little bit after Christmas. I'm thinking I'm going to get her a Christmas present that hints to me proposing, and then if she catches on and acts differently i then know she doesn't like the idea of it."

I chuckle. "Smart man."

He smiles, pulling into the apartments parking lot. He parks closer to my unit, getting out and coming on my side. He helps me out of the car, waving goodbye to me as I limp my way home.

"Good luck with the move, Jeongin!" I yell to him as I'm about to enter.

He smiles at me, giving me thumbs up. I smile back and head inside. I drop my keys on the table, immediately heading to my fridge. I have some leftover pizza that seems really good right now.

I take out my pizza and eat it, even if it's cold. I was right, the cold pizza is absolutely amazing right now. I smile and plop down on the couch, since I am actually in a good mood right now.

Jeongin's love story made me happy. I love seeing people in love, specially because my love life is so sad. I never had good examples of love, and I wouldn't say my experiences with it are ideal. However, I do love a good love story.

Speaking of love stories, I should check my mail. I might have a love story of my own i could be reading right now. I'm in such a good mood that im actually okay with reading letters from my dead boyfriend? What is wrong with me?

Maybe it's because I've had so many beers today.

I shove the rest of the pizza in my mouth, wiping my hands on my jeans. I push myself up and limp over to my mail pile, looking through it. Underneath the top letter, as expected, is my favorite red velvet.

I take the letter and head back to the couch, plopping down. I open the seal, and pull out the paper.