10.

WHEN THE GIRL OF HIS DREAMS LEAVES HIM for the rest of the morning, Jacob decides to head to Cora's Ranch to muck out her horses, his phone pings

WHEN THE GIRL OF HIS DREAMS LEAVES HIM for the rest of the morning, Jacob decides to head to Cora's Ranch to muck out her horses, his phone pings. For a single moment, he can't open the message. Not because he's incapable of opening it, but precisely due the simple and plain fact, he doesn't want to just yet. The young man had not to be worried about a single thing.

Evie response was simple:

Thank you for the blueberry pancakes!

Then another text that makes the boy's heart leap:

Chef Jakie. x

If he didn't have responsibilities with looking after the ranch this morning, he'd be back at her in her arms in a shot.

No problem, Ma'am.

***

For the next few days, Jacob changes out his clothes, showers, and plays a few video games on his Playstation, but nothing can rid him of the Evie Wilson in her summer dress, smelling of lavender and honey.....and, oh, hell, he missed her. Missed how she spoke and how her voice sounds. How fragile she felt in his arms a few hours earlier.

How she talked about her brother.

It broke his heart into fragments. Torn them in tiny pieces, and the shards danced into his arteries and into his bloodstream. During his video game of Assassin's Creed, he lost. His character was shot through the heart like a hopeless romantic tainted with Cupid's arrow -

"Holy shit," he smiles, shutting the game down, and grabs his phone from his back pocket, seeing her number at the top of his caller ID list. Evie. He's smiling again. "I think I love her,"

Without knowing, his brother was walking from the bathroom towards his own room, caught his one-word conversation with himself, and poked his head in the door. Daniel Faith stood there in sweatpants, a toothbrush in the back of his mouth, and eyebrows raised. "You what, bro? In love?"

"Shut up, Dan. Breathe a word of my feelings for this gal, and you will feel my wrath,"

Daniel chuckles, and sputters on his toothpaste in his mouth before continuing to brush his teeth. He sees his younger brother blushing a pink rosy colour and always wants to film it for bragging rights later.

"So, Cora got you guys to hook up already?"

Jacob turns to Daniel, eyeing him with suspicion. "Your point, Dan?"

Daniel smirks, dimple on display. Striking blue eyes look at Jacob and he rushes into his brother's room, and loops his little brother Jacob into a headlock, fluffing his hair up with his hand and slops toothpaste down Jacob's face to which he wrinkles his nose at and shoves him away.

"If you don't say she is yours soon, bro. I will."

"Back off. She's mine. It's just a work-in-progress. And no, we're not having sex. We're only in stage one, maybe two, and I only just admitted how I felt about her...you know? I don't want to freak her out so, I'm taking it slow...as slow as she wants," He says the last part more to himself than to his brother.