09.

EVIE SAYS IT

EVIE SAYS IT. EVEN THOUGH IT'S KICKING A GUY STRAIGHT IN THE EGO.

"It's not a competition, Jake,"

"Everything is a sport," His eyes twinkle, like stars, like shooting stars that will fall into the forest, stunning and golden. It lit his whole face up, like he was so ready to freefall. To take a risk. To make Evie Wilson crawl out of her empty shell and into this dazzling light. "Please say you'll do it?" Then he adds the killer blow, the one where the stars finally made contact with the earth and explode over Evie's own eyes, causing to see a spectacular phenomenon. "For me, Evs."

"Why?" she crosses her arms over her ribs, adding more fuel to his smile. "What's in it for me?"

"Blueberry pancakes for life?" he says with a lazy grin. And then he's peeling back the babyfluffs of her hair behind her ear, his breath close to her face–too close, too hot. Even with the back door open. "And extra toppings," he adds. "With kisses in the backyard on top,"

She gives in. "Only," she says, placing a hand to his chest. His heartbeat was wild, alive and beautiful. "If you flip three."

He breaks out into a breath-taking smile. It's a ridiculous smile before he turns to the stove to light it. "Nothing I won't do for you, Evie,"

The way he says her name has her becoming a tiny bit breathless.

***

Jacob was an excellent pancake flipper. However, the first one flopped, and made a mess on his kitchen floor. He giggled with curses before continuing, pleading with Evie. "No, that was test, first. Don't say I've lost yet, Evie."

Evie manages to give the redhead boy the benefit of the doubt and with a sparkle in hers, she pushes down her grief until it's locked away in a trunk, never to be seen or felt again, until later. Until the day's out like a light with Jacob Faith.

I don't want to go. I don't want to leave. I won't feel like this again once I step through my own front door.

The kitchen was alive with the sound of pancakes flipping in the pan. Jacob's smiles lit up every corner of the kitchen, and the pancakes he served on Evie's plate smelled delicious. Soft, fluffy, with the blueberries inside they leaking out the juices into the pancake.

Jacob gives her fork.

"Eat," he says. And he sits down at the breakfast table, in front of Evie, munching down his own blueberry pancakes. His toppings still were a bit of mystery to Evie. Whipped cream and peaches.

"Why those three toppings?" Evie asks, before placing a bit of the pancake in her mouth. The blueberries popped in her mouth, and it was lovely. Like eating clouds.

Jacob swallows. "I like them. Cream and peaches. I have them with everything sweet." He says with so much candor, Evie feels like she's keeping secrets from him. Keeping the worst secret from him...about how her brother used to be a blueberry pancake lover himself.