15.

THE LIGHT LAMINATES THE LETTER AND MAKES IT FEEL DRASTICALLY REAL

THE LIGHT LAMINATES THE LETTER AND MAKES IT FEEL DRASTICALLY REAL. IT STINGS HER AS THE WIND THAT BRISTLES IN THROUGH Evie's open car window. Outside the air is clear, cold and crisp for a night spent curled up in her car—with a sleeping Jacob Faith in the back seat, snoring softly. And her smudged, cried-out eyes haunting her in the back-view mirror. She requests herself, and starts writing again in her old notebook, thinking things through—with profound thoughts—that makes her hand tremble with the effort and the words she wants to transfer onto the paper, all the more difficult.

Dear Lewis,

She sighs then tosses the notebook back into her bag and rolls up the window to shut out the chilly air that stings her cheeks. Beside her, Jacob is another world—and for a fraction of a second, Evie allows her the luxury of it too—to be in the circle of a boy's arms and not dwell on the repercussions later.

His arms are wrapped around her waist, her head then slowly sinks down to rest it against his chest with her nose pressed into his neck. At first, she thinks the sleeping, beautiful boy will awaken at her movements. When he doesn't, she traces the smooth, boyish lines of her face with her fingers. Loving the feeling of stumble trying to break through his jawline—and the slight dreamy, peaceful expression Jacob has on his face during sleep.

He looks younger, softer, gentle and kind. A sleeping, majestic lion in the heat of the morning sunshine.

For a moment, she bites her lower lip, caught between the fluttering feeling that trickles in her chest like dandelion seeds on the wind.

He's so handsome. And if wanted, he could be mine...forever. However, before she could think about forever and happy endings, sleep takes her from the world into dreams that turn into nightmares.

***

"Climb, Evie...Climb."

Evie tumbles in the car, as she sets herself on the passenger seat, and clamps her fingers on the edges of the rood-top window to hurl herself out, but her knees buckle, and she falls back into the seat when a flood of water starts to gush into the car, knocking her sideways.

Lewis is there. His strong hands force her up. "Get on my leg, Evie. I will push you out with my legs. You pull at the same time and you'll be out. You'll be safe. Do it now."

She goes to stand on his thigh, then pauses, a sob wrecks her body when she sees the blood that pools out of his leg through his denim jeans.

"Lewis, I can't. You're hurt. Your leg."

"It's nothing," he hisses. "I'm healthy as a horse."

Then, she feels it. The snap of a thousand pins and needles that hit her body.

The water was starting to rise.

***

EVIE WAKES UP STARTLED. Her eyelids shoot open, her neck snaps forward and for a second she believes she is back there. In the car with her brother Lewis—who is dying underwater. Sinking. Bubbles escaping his mouth as he draws in his last breath and leaves from his world. Leaving her all alone.