14.

BY THE TIME EVIE REACHES THE HOSPITAL, it's 5AM the next morning. And there's a clap of thunder rolling outside on the windows, starling her out of her soul. The clouds are a stormy grey palette of colours...much like how she feels and she watches helplessly, like a cloud being st a drift in a storm as Cora, her best friend receives the worst news of her life.

She lost the baby.

It was hard for Evie to comprehend Cora was pregnant in the first place. She didn't have any inkling her best friend was carrying a new life. New life that is now...gone.

She bites her lower lip between her teeth and sighs. Feeling like the storm outside. Full of sorrow, full of hurt, full of everything in between.

Why didn't Cora tell me?

She locks eyes on her best friend, who's hooked up to a drip, and sees her heartbroken face. Her brown eyes fill with rims of tears, her curls sweep all over her forehead and she looks like a broken, lost little girl in a bright, lit, white room as nurses and doctors go about their work.

Evie can't stand it anymore.

She rushes in through the door.

Cora looks up, her stare is vancent, empty. Like ehr mind and soul is lost somewhere, out in a storm of clouded emotions.

"Cora," Evie says. It's soft like daylight. Cora peers up from resting her chin on her knees. "He didn't come and see me, Evie," Her voice breaks. Outside, Evuie hears the rustle of wind rattle against the window. Her heart becomes resisted, resusted, and slow.

She rushes to Cora's side.

"He didn't come to the hopstial with me. Why didn't he come with me? It was his baby, too."

Evie doesn't know what to do or say. So instead, she wraps her thin arms around Cora, and holds onto her, until she feels hot, steamy tears run down her neck as a strangled sob escapes her best friend's throat.

"Why did Dallas just stand there and act like I we - no, I- was nothing' to me?"

Evie rubs Cora's back. A red-head nurse bustles about the room with a look of pity in her eyes then makes a sharp exit when Evie stares at her.

"I don't know, Cor," Evie says...hurting the way the truth sips past her lips. She slowly sits on the bed, in front of Cora and wipes her face with her thumbs. "But I told him after you left for hospital that he was a complete—

The doors open to Cora's room. Evie feels a breeze trickle down her neck. It two base-ball players from Dallas' team. Soaking wet with the rain, with a look of pure dead on their faces.

Jerry, a blonde boy with green eyes runs his hand through his hair. "Cora! You're here!"

She rubs her nose. "Where else would I be, Jerry?"