Chapter 23: Mess Up

Wanda was the one to find you.

The little witch woke up from her nap with the sniffles she heard from the corner, obviously belonging to one of her teammates, and she highly doubted it was the spiderling or the super soldier.

Without you knowing she snuck up behind you, entrapping you in a soft hug, not willing to let you go until she knew you were okay.

Sniffling you buried your head into her shoulder. She offered a moment of comfort, someone you could trust over anyone else.

She grounded you, bringing you out from that awful place, from focusing on it too much. You knew it would be hard, memories would always plague you, even magic couldn't help you push them away completely, but you at least had people near you now. Close enough to trust.

"Will you be okay?" Wanda looked over you concerned, seeing the tear tracks that painted your cheeks.

You nodded, closing your eyes and trying to push away the thoughts that seemed to plague you. Trying to focus on the good, the team, home, the tower and the sanctum.

Slowly getting up you walked over to the window, Wanda silently watching and letting you be once she realized you were safe, for now.

"Mr. Barnes has asked me to inform you that we are landing in five minutes," Fridays voice told you and the other two passengers over the speaker.

You decided to finish suiting up, noticing Wanda doing the same. Tightening your hair, making sure your boots were in place and wouldn't come unlaced, and fixing the rest of your suit, giving yourself a satisfactory nod at the end.

The quinjet landed, the hatch opening to a barren facility. Dark brown, rusty buildings scattered across the grounds, most with obvious damages inflicted on them. Barely off in the distance you could notice the wind howling, almost like an eery warning.

Bucky, Wanda, and Peter finally joined your side. Peter pulling out a piece of technology and messing with a few controls for it to highlight a building off in the distance.

"That's the target?" Bucky asked Peter, looking at the building, that looked almost identical to the rest.

Peter nodded in response, leading the way and stepping out of the quinjet, setting a path to the target.

The four of you walked across the flag concrete path that covered the compound between every building. Occasionally peering inside a building you noticed most were barren and a few had scattered pieces of old tech that seemed like it could be decades old.

Eventually you came to the target, the windows knocked in from tears of weather, and the walls painted in mold and other weird substances from years of rain and no upkeep.

A strange stench filled the air, presumably from the mold, causing you and Wanda to exchange a disgusted look, Peter and Bucky both being spared since their suits had masks.

"Hope I don't get poisoned from this," you muttered making Wanda laugh as you and her walked in first.

"It doesn't look like the systems are still functioning," Wanda told Peter and Bucky as they stood at the entrance.

"I'm going to try going in a little farther," you walked more into the building, farther into the hallway, having a sneaking suspicion.

Your thoughts were answered, bullets shot through the air, aimed at you. Luckily you were prepared, letting out a sigh as you formed a dome of thick ice around you, shelling you from any bullets, being to thick to be broken into unless by some specialized weapon.

Closing your eyes you focused on outside of the ice, feeling where the bullets were being shot from and where the guns were located. Plants grew from the ground as the team watched from the entrance, wrapping around the machines and bringing them with a large crash to the ground.

You motioned for Wanda to come to you, making sure there was nothing left before sending the vulnerable two in.

She got through safely, sending her a nod to stay there. She seemed to understand as you looked towards the rest of the building, taking a deep breath before slowly walking forwards.

Nothing happened in the first few steps. After about ten feet forward a loud piercing ring blasted through every edge of the building.

Fuck. Hastily you turned, trying to catch what the ringing meant. Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed that Wanda had formed a barrier around her and the boys, you just needed to protect yourself.

"Should've brought my damn cloak," you whispered to yourself, mad at leaving it behind in the sanctum earlier, letting it run off with the Cloak of Levitation, thinking it would be an uneventful day.

Nothing seemed to happen. Seconds seemed to stretch on and on, when in reality it had likely been less than a minute.

"Okay then," you told yourself, stepping forward seeing as nothing seemed to be triggered by the ringing.

A few steps turned into many, but at around ten it seemed your luck ran out. A sudden click to your right alerted you, barely having enough time to form a shield of ice before bullets shot at you like a storm.

Holding up the shield with one hand, you took the other, bringing it up and causing a sharp blade of ice to come out of the ground and split through the gun, frost leaving your breath as you let it out, unknowingly holding it.

Taking a moment to gather yourself before you walked forward, you let walls of ice form on every side, encasing them with some magic, not having been taught too much about shielding yet.

The way to the end of the hall was clear, nothing shot and nothing was triggered. You waited patiently at the door for the rest to follow.

You let Wanda go first, entering the large room, who's lights turned on automatically as she stepped in.

Rows of computers and file cabinets littered the area, you prayed that it was safe. Steve had said something about only the entrance being protected but it seemed he was wrong with how far back the defense systems were armed.

The four of you came to the center of the area, luckily your prayers were answered as nothing seemed to happen. Bucky went up to a computer, Peter following behind, plugging in a flash drive while Bucky did the same.

"Like your first mission?" Wanda asked from your side as you observed the boys.

"Too easy," you chuckled, Peter and Bucky beginning to argue over something in the distance.

Peter nervously looked at you as Bucky pressed buttons, wincing before he finally spoke, "Guys?"

Wanda and you exchanged a look, neither of you having any idea where this was going.

Wanda nodded for Peter to go on, as he fiddled with his sleeves.

"We might have triggered a lockdown."

You groaned, knowing that now you really were in deep shit and had flat out jinxed yourself, "You have got to be fucking kidding me."

AN: gonna try to start adopting a normal posting schedule