Chapter 12

Lacey

I Closed the door behind me as i walked into my guest bedroom and stood there awkwardly, my back to the door, my hand still wrapped around the door knob as Emma just stared up at me.

"Are you just going to stand there?" She questioned.

"I'm not sure, i haven't decided yet" I told her.

"Well let me know when you do" Emma spoke and crawled up to the head of the bed kicking the quilt down and crawling underneath it.

I stood there for a few seconds more before walking around to the other side of the bed and sitting on top of the quilt and crossed my legs so i was facing towards Emma.

"It happened to you too" Emma spoke aloud looking down at her hands.

I drew in a sharp breath causing my chest to puff out.

I took a minute to regain myself, pushing back the image of my father, not ready to return to that place.

Emma looked over at me noticing my silence, her hands still twisting around one another out of nervousness.

"Sorry, it wasn't my place, I didn't mean to upset you and bring back memories" she spoke Barely above a whisper, I gave her a sad smile in return.

"no no, it's okay" i interjected.

"It's not though" Emma spoke quietly.

"No, it's not" I sighed.

"I Don't know what to say to you" Emma admitted.

"You don't have to say anything to me" I replied honestly.

"So why did you come in here?" She asked.

That was a good question, why had i come in here? to see how she was? to see if she would talk to me about it even though i had already heard everything when i stood outside of the kitchen door listening to her spill everything to Bailey, maybe i came in here for my own comfort as much as i had for hers, because i have been there, and i know what it's like to be abused by a parent.

Emma looked up at me the silence dragging out too long.

"To see how you are" I finally settled on.

"I'm fine" Emma shrugged.

"That's what i used to tell people too, when in reality i was completely destroyed" I glanced towards the door before redirecting my attention back to Emma.

"I'm not sure what you want me to say" Emma sighed looking over at me.

"The truth" I told her.

"You already know everything, you overhead what I said to Bailey" Emma shrugged looking down at her the quilt.

"Does it bother you? That I never announced my presence? That I listened in on your private conversation?" I questioned.

"In the moment I did, but not anymore" Emma shrugged.

"Why not anymore?" I questioned tilting my head to the side.

"I don't know, what's with all the questions" Emma directed at me clearly getting frustrated.

"I'm sorry, does it bother you?" I asked yet another question.

Emma never answered my question, but the look on her face said it all.

"Would you like me to leave?" I know I had asked another question, but it was something I couldn't avoid, communication is mostly go do with questions, and I wouldn't know what she wanted if I never asked her.