Chapter One

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Seneca

I stare up at the intimidating forty-eight floor skyscraper, my eyes squinting against the bright sunshine. My mind is buzzing with a thousand thoughts. Two months ago, I made the biggest decision of my life, and it led me here, in one of the busiest cities in the world. I feel excitement and something else. A sense of apprehension that is wrapping itself around my lungs, making it hard to breathe.

Wanting a change was what got me here in the first place. I left everything behind: my family, friends and a life that took twenty-seven years to build. The only hope I can cling to at this point, is that I don't come to regret it.

My phone buzzes inside my jeans' pocket, pulling my gaze away from the shiny, glass-covered building. I see Amanda's name on the screen and smile as I answer.

"I'm so sorry,"  she greets with a sigh. "Did I tell you that already?"

"About two hundred times."

"I'm boarding my flight. Are you there yet?"

"I'm here," I confirm, watching as the doorman opens the lobby doors for someone then gives me a questioning look.

"I left word with Arnie at reception. He's very sweet. You'll like him."

"Don't see an Arnie," I say under my breath as the severe-looking man with a moustache scrutinizes me, now openly.

"Ah, so you met John. He takes a while getting used to."

"I haven't met anyone per say. I'm still outside."

"Care, get your ass upstairs. People in New York don't bite. We may come across as a little standoffish, but hey, we live busy lives."

"I know what living in a busy city is like," I say in my defense, although really, I'm just stalling.

"Carina," Amanda says with a hint of warning in her voice, already knowing me too well.

"I'm going," I reply, glancing back at the dark gray Jaguar idling by the curb. The sight reminds me of the unknown world awaiting for me inside that building. I've flown across the Atlantic for almost thirteen hours, and despite the jet lag and the tiredness I feel for not having slept a wink, I am reluctant to step into the air-conditioned haven waiting for me inside.

"I'll see you in a few hours."

"Have a safe flight."

With that, I hang up and give Ella a smile. She's a childhood friend of Amanda's and she was nice enough to pick me up from the airport.

"All good?" she asks with a smile of her own. Her bleach-blond hair is glinting into the sunlight and her stunning blue eyes are set on me.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Amanda is just leaving St. Augustine."

"Let's get these inside." She gestures to my luggage that we squeezed into the trunk of her sports car.

As soon as we make it to the front doors, the man in a black and blue uniform acknowledges Ella with a nod. "Miss Phillips."

"Hi, John. This is Amanda's friend, Carina Savin. She's moving in."

"Yes, I believe Miss Hayes mentioned something like that. Allow me to get those."

He grabs the luggage from us, managing to open the heavy-looking glass door at the same time. The lobby and everything inside it is even more luxurious than I expected. It looks more like an atrium with its shiny marble floors, sky-high walls covered in mirrored panels and even an indoor waterfall. I feel intimidated the moment I inhale the rich scent of an expensive perfume that permeates the air and makes me feel slightly dizzy. I am so out of my element, the notion of me being here is starting to feel ridiculous.

For a moment, I start to wonder what the hell I'm doing. I left my cozy apartment, my county, to brace the unknown. The States are like a second home to me, but New York is not. In my years at Harvard, I only came here one time, with Amanda. For her, it's her entire life. She was born here and she has no plans of ever leaving.

"This way," John's voice pulls me out of my reverie as he heads for a single elevator that is separated from the other three aligned in a neat row across from the lobby doors.

"I can't stay," Ella says with an apologetic smile. "Please make sure she gets settled in." She turns to me. "If you need anything, call. You have my number."

"I'm sure I'll be fine for the next few hours. Thank you so much for picking me up from the airport."

"No problem. I'll see you soon."

When she leaves, it's just John and me. He gestures that I should get in first. The elevator is large and airy, unlike any other I have ever seen. It can fit at least six or seven people comfortably. I realize it's exclusive to the penthouse when the doors open and we step directly into an open-space living area with a breathtaking view of the city below. It takes me a moment to tear my eyes away and meet John's gaze.

"Where would you like me to put these?"

"You can just leave them there. Thank you so much."

With a nod, he deposits the luggage beside a small table hosting a vase filled with white peonies, before taking his leave.

I stand in silence for another long minute, trying to figure out what to do with myself. The sound of footsteps gets my attention and the moment I turn my head to my left, I spot someone heading my way.

"Hello," the unfamiliar woman says with a smile. "You must be Amanda's friend from Europe."

"Carina." I manage a genuine smile. She has a motherly aura to her that I instantly like.

"My name is Lois. I am the housekeeper."

"It's nice to meet you Lois."

"Amanda should be back from her trip tonight. Let me show you around and you can pick your own bedroom."

"That would be great, thank you."

As she heads toward the kitchen that is on the other end of a long hallway, she stops to make an observation. "Forgive me for saying it, but your accent is very faint."

"Ah, well, I went to college here in the States. Amanda and I met at Harvard. I lived here for about five years before going back to my home country."

"What made you come back?"

"A job opportunity, actually. That and Amanda being relentless about me coming back."

Lois smiles. "Amanda is very sweet. Once she's taken a liking to you, you're stuck with her forever."

"She's a good friend," I agree. What I don't mention is that she's been to visit me in Bucharest at least fifteen times in the past four years. She knows my small apartment inside out, while I know next to nothing about her life here in New York, besides the fact that she comes from an incredibly wealthy family.

Amanda always insisted that I was destined for something great. That working long hours for a large multinational company was not allowing me to use my full potential. And when she came to me with that job opportunity two months ago, she was like a dog with a juicy bone. She wasn't going to take no for an answer.

By the time Lois is done with her tour of the penthouse, I am a little overwhelmed. I've chosen a bedroom, the one that is farthest from Amanda's to give her some semblance of privacy in her own home.

I sit down on the bed and take in the décor with its soft shades of beige and light grays.

I take in a deep breath and exhale slowly.

Today, a new era begins.

I only hope I'm ready for it.