Chapter Ten

"What's meant to be will always find a way." – Trisha Yearwood

I groan as I get up from the sofa, the same spot I've warming for the past hour. Every cell in my body aches and I suppress the sudden urge to cry in frustration. My throat feels like sandpaper so I grab the empty mug from the coffee table and trudge toward the kitchen in my pajamas and house slippers.

Amanda left for Austin yesterday morning, and today is Lois's day off, which means I'm all by myself in this enormous penthouse on a Sunday afternoon.

Sluggishly, I set out to make some more tea, silently cursing the day I decided to prance outside in a breezy top despite the misleading weather. Every spring it's the same. As soon as the sun gets a little brighter, I decide to change my wardrobe and always end up with a cold.

With a sigh, I watch the teabag float into the boiled water I just poured over it. I pop another Advil as I wait and contemplate not going in to work tomorrow. Maybe I can call the office and have them deliver my laptop at home so I can at least log in for the meeting with Kyle and Finance.

I take my mug into the living room, along with a bag of soft cookies because I didn't eat anything since yesterday evening.

I set the items on the coffee table and am about to sit down when I hear the unmistakable sound of the elevator doors opening in the foyer. Footsteps echo through the silence, and I find myself frowning because I'm not expecting anyone. I turn around and freeze when I see the last person I expected a visit from.

Knox looks up, the startled look on his face telling me the surprise is reciprocal. He stops, takes in my disheveled appearance then meets my eyes. "Hey."

"Uh, hi," I say, crossing my arms over my chest to hide the fact I'm not wearing a bra. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to pick up something from Amanda's office. Sorry, I didn't know you'd be home. She said you were going out with someone from your office."

"Yeah, I was supposed to, but I woke up today feeling like crap."

He frowns, realizing that the flush on my face is not from embarrassment at being caught in a bad moment. "Cold?"

"Yeah," I lament, cupping my cheek and realizing that I'm too hot. "I think I might have a fever."

He takes a few steps in my direction. "Did you take anything?"

"I just took an Advil because my entire body is aching."

"I suggest you try some Tylenol." He eyes the cookies and the tea. "Is that all you're eating?"

I nod hesitantly. There's food in the fridge but nothing appeals to me; not with my sore throat.

Knox looks nice today. Well, he always looks impeccable, but it's the first time I've seen him so casual. He's wearing dark jeans and a white shirt, his brown hair pushed back in a way that suggests he's been running his fingers through it.

"So what are you picking up?" I ask, fingering the hem of my pajama top. They're beige and insipid, much like my face on this wonderful day.

"Just some documents I need." He gestures in the direction of the office. "I won't be long."

As soon as he's gone, I dash into the half bathroom on the first floor and take a look in the mirror. Of course I look like death warmed over, so I splash some water on my face before trying to do something with my hair. I don't even know why I care so much if Knox sees me like this, but something is compelling me to ensure I look half-decent.