Chapter Thirteen

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" – Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"I hope you don't mind I called so early on a Saturday morning," Martha apologizes as I balance the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"No, don't worry about it. I've been awake for quite some time."

"Oh good. I won't keep you long. Just wanted to ask if you've given any thought to the shelter work I told you about."

I put the mug I've been washing in the drainer before giving her my full attention. "Actually, yes. I'd love to help out."

"Oh." She sounds surprised. "That is such good news. What are you doing this afternoon?"

I smile, even though she can't see me. "Not much."

"Would you like to come over so I can introduce you to the team?"

"Sure. What time?"

"Is two p.m. alright with you? I will text you the address."

After a minute, we hang up with the promise to meet later. It's been exactly one week since the fundraiser, and I have to confess that I'm surprised Martha reached out to me about the shelter. Not that I mind. Amanda is in her office, busy with work, and I have entirely too much time on my hands this weekend.

As I head upstairs to my bedroom, I decide that I will use some of that time to work out. There is a private gym in the penthouse that I have only used twice since I arrived. I go straight for the closet and pick out a pair of leggings and a lose t-shirt to change into.

I start with the treadmill before moving to lifting weights and finishing the one-hour workout with some abs exercises. By the time I'm done, I feel sore in a few places, although full of energy.

Amanda intercepts me in the hallway, still in her pajamas and carrying an empty mug.

"Well, well," she says with a smirk, taking me in. "Since when do you work out?"

I shrug. "Since I'm bored. Are you done with whatever you were doing?"

"No, and don't deflect. Does this have anything to do with a certain someone you went out with last weekend?"

I give her a flat look. "No."

I haven't talked to Julian since the night of the fundraiser, which I suppose is a good thing since I wasn't planning to get involved with him romantically anyway.

"Sure it doesn't."

I roll my eyes, a bit annoyed. "Drop it, okay? By the way, I'll be meeting Martha at the shelter today. She called to ask if I was interested in working with her team."

Amanda's expression softens. "That's great, Care. I'm sure you'll like it. I wish I had more time to volunteer."

"You're going to work the whole day away?"

"Possibly, but anyway, don't fret about me. I'll relax tomorrow." She shoos me away. "Go, take a shower, or whatever."

I roll my eyes, but I'm already leaving. "See you at dinner?"

"Yep."

~D~

Martha greets me in front of the building with a smile on her face. I glance from her to the building behind her, and it's not what I expected. From the outside it looks like a regular apartment building. The façade is red bricks with tall windows painted white and flower pots on each windowsill. The only giveaway that the place is destined to homeless people is the discreet plaque beside the front door saying 'Hayes home – overnight housing for the homeless'.