Chapter Twenty-One

"Remember, there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." — Scott Adams

"Hey, boss. Happy belated birthday."

I look up from my computer screen to see Liam standing in the threshold to my office door. He's wearing a green Hawaiian shirt and a relaxed smile on his freshly tanned face.

I return the smile. "Welcome back, and thank you."

He takes a few steps inside. "How was the party?"

"It was nice. And your vacation?"

"Lots of booze and women."

I raise a questioning eyebrow in his direction. "What did Olga have to say about that?"

He lets out an amused breath at the mention of his long-term girlfriend. "The women were her friends."

He looks like he's in no hurry to get back to the usual routine, and I can't say I blame him. I've been back from my prolonged weekend in St. Augustine for three days and I'm still feeling a little sluggish myself.

"Well, I'm glad you're back. I ordered some donuts earlier. They're in the kitchen, if you're interested."

"Glazed?" he asks hopefully.

"Of course."

"Yes!" He fist-pumps the air. "You're the best, boss."

I shoo him away. "Stop calling me that and go stuff your face. Take it easy today."

"Oh, I plan to." With that, he mock-salutes me and leaves my office.

After Liam is gone, I manage to work in silence for another ten minutes before I am distracted again, this time by my phone. I'm surprised to see it's Knox's mother calling.

"Martha, hi," I answer.

"Hello, dear. Sorry to bother you at work."

"It's no bother. What can I do for you?"

She lets out a soft sigh, and I realize that she doesn't sound like herself. Her voice is too quiet and there is an undertone of something that sounds awfully like sadness. "I was wondering if you could come by the shelter tomorrow. A couple of people came down with a nasty stomach bug and I need to make sure their shifts are covered."

"Yeah, sure," I say immediately, not even having to think about it. I love the shelter work, and I have no plans for tomorrow anyway. "I can cover. No problem."

"You are a sweetheart."

"Are you okay?" I ask after a beat. "You sound a bit off."

"I'm tired and a little rattled. Charlie has been in a car accident this morning."

"What?" I sit up straighter, my spine going stiff with tension. "Is she alright?"

"Broken arm and a concussion. She will be on bed rest for a while."

"Where is she?"

She tells me which hospital Charlie has been admitted to, and I'm on my feet in the next minute, ready to leave. As I fly past my team's cubicles, I cross paths with Kyle, and I let him know I'm leaving for an emergency before bolting for the elevators.

I make it to the hospital in forty minutes, after battling the morning traffic in a cab with no working AC. I am sweaty and more than a little annoyed as I get out of the car and walk across the sidewalk to the main entrance.