Chapter Twenty-Five

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done." — Robert A. Heinlein

"How was London?"

Knox moves his gaze from the window to my face. We're both in the backseat of his Porsche SUV, heading to his place, after I just conceded to this insanity a few minutes ago. I'm trying to make small talk so I don't overthink my current predicament and ask his driver to turn around and get me back home.

Knox seems to sense my apprehension because his hand reaches for mine on the leather seat. "It was busy. Are you okay?"

I nod mutely. He turns so he's facing me completely. His lips curve with a small smile.

"Don't ever try to play poker. You'll lose."

His reply has me laughing, despite the tension buzzing through my limbs. "Don't ever plan to. Am I so easy to read?"

"Like an open book left unsupervised."

"That bad, huh?"

His thumb traces my index finger. "Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me."

Even though he's speaking metaphorically, there is a secret we're both hiding, and it's sitting in this car, between us, fueling my anxiety. I never even dreamed we'd get to this point, and now that we're here, I'm not sure how to feel about it.

I'm insanely attracted to Knox. It's not just physical attraction; it's something more. Something deeper than I could have anticipated. We are different, but we seem to want the same things.

Peace.

Affection.

Someone to trust.

I'm afraid that I'm already getting attached, and after tonight, there will be no turning back.

He leans forward to cup my cheek. "I've missed talking to you," he says so quietly, I can barely hear him.

"I am a good conversationalist," I reply, breathing in his scent and getting high on it.

He chuckles, pressing his mouth to mine softly. "You are."

Behind the wheel, Marcus is focusing on the road ahead, but I know he can hear our whispers. I glance in his direction, and Knox seems to sense my apprehension. With one last kiss, he draws back and refocuses his attention on the passing buildings outside.

When the car finally enters the underground parking in Knox's building, I have accepted my decision and feel somewhat calmer. Marcus holds the door open for me, and Knox leads me to the elevators.

I expected him to live in the penthouse, but I am pleasantly surprised when he presses the button for an intermediate floor instead. We're quiet on the way up, and only when we're there, he wraps an arm around my waist as he guides me to one of the two doors on the floor.

A smile overtakes my face as soon as he opens the front door and switches on the lights. The open-plan apartment is smaller than a penthouse, but also cozier. There are still wide, floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city, and even a marble fireplace, though the more compact space and the warm colors give it a homey, lived-in vibe which I instantly like.

"Burgundy?" I ask, removing my shoes and walking toward the two sofas facing each other, separated by a glass coffee table. "I never could have imagined you as a fan of the color."

"Scarlett chose it."

The smile on my face drops, and I can't believe I fucked up so badly. Of course they had a life together, and of course she picked out at least some of the furniture in the place they most probably shared for years.