Chapter Eleven

"You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." – Martin Luther King Jr.

Three days later I am back on my feet. To-go cup of coffee in hand, I make my way up to the sixth floor where KM has its offices. In the elevator, I greet a few people I recognize with a smile, and when the doors open on my floor, I hurry across the open-space and head straight for Lauren's office.

"There you are." She smiles over the top of her laptop, motioning that I should come in. "How's that nasty cold?"

"Gone, thank God." I sit down across from her and place my still hot cup on the desk in front of me. I'm here for a reason, and the knowing glint in her eyes betrays a hint of amusement. "I'm so nervous."

"KM has been working with Noah for years. He's very good."

"I don't doubt that," I rush to clarify. "But this is my first project from a leadership position. It's special, I guess."

"Well." She angles her laptop so I can see the screen. We have both received the same e-mail yesterday afternoon, with the link to the commercial video, but I was too nervous to watch it alone. "For the record, I think it came out great. You're a natural at this."

"Thanks," I murmur, watching as she touches a key to play the video.

The whole thing lasts twenty-three seconds.

Twenty-three seconds in which I don't dare to breathe.

The female model enters a dim apartment wearing an office attire. A sensual tune plays in the background as she slowly removes her silk button-up before tossing the garment on the back of a leather couch. She makes her way to the bedroom and by time she reaches the threshold, her pencil skirt melts into a pool of gray fabric at her long feet. Clad in the blue lace set and a pair of nude thigh-highs, she pauses in the doorway and reaches for the pin in her blond hair.

The camera moves to the solitary figure seated in an armchair by the windows, his face obscured by the darkness enveloping the room. With unhurried ease he stands, the motion revealing more of his handsome face. His eyes, a brilliant shade of green, shine with a potent mix of admiration and something more erotic.

Once more, the camera centers on the female, her five-inch heels digging into the soft carpet as she makes her way across the room, hips swinging provocatively. He meets her in the middle, strong masculine fingers wrapping around her slim waist and pulling her closer. The way he looks at her transcends the virtual realm of their surroundings, landing straight into the viewer's imagination. The man bends his head to whisper something in her ear, and she smiles, her eyelids fluttering closed at whatever he says to her. Despite the private words, their body language conveys a vivid picture of the night waiting ahead.

It reads passion. Love. Adoration.

A sensual kiss on her neck and a slip of his hand lower before the camera cuts to a black screen and the company's logo accompanied by the campaign's new motto: explore passion.

When it's over, I sit there still staring at the blank screen.

Lauren's soft laugh brings me back to earth. "I gather you like it."

"I love it," I say quickly and feel myself smile. "I'll have to call Noah. He did an amazing job."

"You're ready to let Kyle see it?"

"Yes." I beam and feel my knee bounce with excitement. "God, yes. It came out perfect. I'll set up a meeting for today."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's off today. Had something personal to take care of."