Chapter Fourteen

"Everyone needs a second chance. Some of us need a third or fourth chance." – Catherine DePasquale

Knox surprises everyone the next Friday by showing up for dinner.

It's a beautiful afternoon outside, the sun still shining bright across the garden as the family gathers into the gazebo. I sip from a glass of chilled wine, watching as Knox exits the house and makes his way down the patio, blue eyes searching the expanse of the garden. They stop when they find me, his expression blank, although even from a distance I can tell that it's me he was looking for.

The knowledge makes warmth expand across my chest, and I nervously push a strand of hair behind my ear, unable to tear my gaze away.

He is dressed in a suit today, tie and jacket still on, as if he just stepped out of a long, stuffy meeting.

"Hey," he says and eyes the low-cut black shirt I'm wearing. It's decent, but I'm showing cleavage, and I can see on his face that the outfit takes him by surprise.

"Hi," I say and take another sip of my wine. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company today?"

He drags his gaze up to meet mine. "I was afraid Linda was liable to have a heart-attack if I skipped any more dinners."

My lips curve up because I know by now that he can't stand her. "So considerate of you, thinking of your aunt's wellbeing."

He snorts unceremoniously, but doesn't comment on that. "How was your day at the shelter?"

"It went great, actually. Charlie really is a sweet girl."

"She is," he agrees and nods to the glass in my hand. "What are you drinking?"

"White wine," I say, teasing. "If you're asking me what kind of white wine, I have no idea. It's good though."

He chuckles, and the sound makes my stomach flutter. Without asking, he takes the glass from me and brings it to his mouth. I watch, fascinated and a little turned on, as he takes a sip, savors it before swallowing. "Château Pape Clément. Excellent choice."

He hands me back the glass, but I'm too focused on the part where his lips have touched my drink to acknowledge what he said.

"Knox, it's lovely that you could make it." Linda materializes beside him, and I want to roll my eyes at the way she's looking at him, as if he is some sort of deity descended on earth directly from the heavens. I think she is attracted to him, and the notion makes me want to gag. She is old enough to be his mother.

Luckily, Amanda choses that moment to make an appearance. She walks to her cousin and links her arm with his, giving him a cheeky grin. "Hello, Prince of Darkness."

Amused, Knox extracts his arm to wrap it around her neck instead, effectively turning his back on Linda. "Well, if it isn't Barbie in the flesh. Had anymore fillers since I last saw you?"

He's teasing her, of course. Amanda hasn't had any procedures done. She is naturally beautiful.

"Ha ha. When did you find your sense of humor?"

"About the same time you discovered yours."

She pushes at his chest, and he lets go with a chuckle.

Seeing that she's being ignored, Linda spins on her three-inch heels and heads to the gazebo where the rest of the family is.

Amanda rolls her eyes at her departing silhouette, though she doesn't address her step-mother's behavior. "So, dearest cousin. I have a proposition for you."