Chapter Twelve

"The lovesick, the betrayed, and the jealous all smell alike." - Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

"What's wrong with Julian?" I ask Amanda, meeting her gaze in the full-length mirror as I put on the finishing touches to my makeup.

"Nothing is wrong with him," she says, arms crossed over her chest. She's dressed in leggings and an oversized t-shirt, her blond hair pulled up into a ponytail. I found out yesterday that she has an invitation to the same fundraiser I'm about to head to, but she has no intention of attending.

"Then why the attitude?"

"What attitude?"

I put down the lipstick and turn to face her. "The one you're giving me for seeing him tonight."

"He's a bit of a womanizer. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I'm not dating him."

She purses her lips. "No? Then why are you going out with him?"

I sigh. "Ames, I know you have my best interest at heart, but I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself and my feelings. Julian is nice, and I'd like the opportunity to meet people outside of work, you know?"

Her expression softens. "I know I can get a little overbearing, but you're like a sister to me. You deserve a guy who can make you happy."

I smile because she's sweet, even in her bossy ways. "I'll be fine." I gesture to my long dress which I borrowed from her impressive collection. "How do I look?"

"Do you even have to ask? Of course you look amazing."

As if on cue, my phone vibrates on the bed, and I pick it up to see a new text from Julian.

2 minutes.

Be down in 3, I type and smile to myself at the little joke. He seems like the kind of person with a healthy sense of humor, which is something I really like about him.

"Okay, I'm leaving," I say, grabbing the silver clutch from the nightstand and squeezing the tube of lipstick into it, along with my phone and some cash.

Amanda follows me out of the bedroom and downstairs into the foyer. "Have fun."

"Thanks." I wave goodbye over my shoulder as I head for the elevator and she starts for the kitchen.

The sleek Maybach waiting in front of the building gives me a bit of a pause. A moment later, the driver's door opens and the tall frame of a man I've never seen before unfolds onto the street. He rounds the car and opens the back door as he greets me with a polite, "Good evening."

I give him a smile in return. "Hello."

Inside the car, Julian is waiting for me, his posture relaxed as he leans against the leather seat. He does a double-take when he sees me, his lips tipping up as he takes in the long black dress with a single sleeve and a generous slit that goes up my thigh, exposing almost the entire leg.

"My God," he says, admiration coloring his voice. "That dress is... wow."

"Thank you." I give him an appreciative look in return. "You look good in a tux."

"This old thing? I found it in the back of the closet." The playful glint in his eyes lingers on my face before he holds out his hand, palm up. I look at it, confused at first, until I realize he wants me to put my hand in his. When I do, he takes a moment to admire the red nail polish then brings my knuckles to his mouth and places a kiss on them. "Thank you for coming tonight, Carina. You'll have to tell me how I can repay the favor."