ONE: ENGAGED

Assalamu'alykum Warahmatullahi Ta'ala Wabarkatuhu

Kindly note that this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real names, characters, or events are purely coincidental.

Let's get started

Bismillah

*

I couldn't help but smile with satisfaction. I have spent hours carefully crafting this delectable masterpiece for this special occasion and I was almost done.

"Harirah, could you please hurry up with the shawarma filling?"

"Zubaida go help Aysa to put Turaren wuta around the house before the visitors arrive"

"And you Malika, check whether the pepper soup is done so you can transfer it into the warmers."

I heard Aunty Fatima's authoritative voice as she ordered the maids around. She then briskly entered the kitchen, her tone edged with impatience as she addressed me, "Ameena, are you done with the cake? Remember, you're the center of attention today, so you need to get ready before the guests arrive."

"I'm almost done," I replied, applying the final touches of whipped cream on the rich, decadent chocolate cake. With a satisfied nod, I placed the frosted cake inside the fridge, ensuring that it was perfectly chilled for later. As I turned to leave, she assessed my appearance. "Hurry up, please," she said before disappearing from view. With a deep breath, I quickly made my way up the stairs to my room.

Once I was inside, I locked the door and grabbed my towel before entering the bathroom to take a quick bath. The warm water cascaded over my skin, washing away the day's stress and leaving me feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Minutes later, I emerged from the bathroom and went about my beauty routine, rubbing body lotion onto my skin and applying gel to my edges.

I slipped into my gorgeous golden medallion-coloured getzner Shadda, which was sewn into a well-embroidered and styled three-quarter gown that had shiny stones and a straight skirt. I accessorized with my golden necklace, rings, and bangles, tying my headwrap into a beautiful turban.

My phone beeped, and I saw a call from my brother, Ya Sadiq. "Hello," I answered, rubbing some scented oil perfume on my golden-coloured veil.

"They have arrived," he stated, causing my heart to skip a beat. I couldn't believe that this was happening. My boyfriend and his family are here to ask for my hand in marriage.

"Alright, I'll be down in a sec." I cut the call and noticed a message notification on my phone. It was from my beloved, Habiby Albi. "We have arrived"

I didn't reply but instead stood up and went over to the mirror to stare at myself one last time. I felt like I was a little overdressed for the occasion, as if today was the wedding day already, and I was the bride. However, I knew that I needed to look good because today was a special day. I was going to be engaged to a celebrity, and I knew that our news would be everywhere on social media. Notifications were already bursting in from close friends and family.

"Are you still not done getting ready?" Aunty Fati asked, coming into the room with Zeemar trailing behind her. They were both looking stunning in their beautiful outfits. Aunty Fati was dressed in a blue lace sewn into a Bubu gown, while Zeemar, my sister, was dressed in a sequin lace that was sewn into a latest gown style.

Before we continue, I should introduce myself properly. My name is Ameena Abdallah Turaki , better known as Meenah Turaki. I am 22 years old and a graduate. I completed my NYSC two months ago, and I have a talent in baking, anything that involves making all kinds of cakes and different pastries, count me in.