SIXTEEN: Wedding Bells 🎉

Billy's frustrated voice shattered my peace. "Mubarak can't be serious!" she exclaimed, "I just called him, and the nerve of him – he says he's too busy to pick us up!"

"I told you bringing my car would avoid these hassles," I sighed, pushing my teacup aside. "But noooo. And knowing Mubarak, even if he shows up, he'll probably be late and waste our precious time. Remember we have errands we need to run before the event."

We're back in Kaduna, and my wedding festivities have begun. Yesterday was my Sa Lalle, which we held at my father's compound after it was beautifully decorated. My bridal shower was also an absolute blast. My friends surprised me with a fantastic bridal shower, and we had lots of fun together. We danced, sang, and played games, making memories that will last a lifetime.

After spending the night at Spa La Rena, Fareed's Aunty's spa, one of the best in Kaduna, I received a unique bridal treatment. It was a gift from her, and it made me feel truly special. The staff there are exceptional, they carry out their jobs so well. Also, my personal beautician has been coming home every day for the past two weeks for gyaran jiki treatments, so my skin feels as soft and glowing as a baby's.

Now, thanks to these skincare treatments, I can't help but admire every aspect of myself. From my beautifully manicured hands and pedicured feet, adorned with stunning henna designs, to my glowing skin and beautifully braided hair, I feel like the epitome of a bride. I'm absolutely in love with every part of my appearance right now.

Maimoon slid onto the couch beside me. "What's the plan?" she asked. Just then, my phone buzzed with a FaceTime call from Fareed. A smile appeared on my face as I swiped to answer.

His handsome face filled the screen, with a passing scenery background. "Hey beautiful," he greeted, his voice husky. "How was your night?"

"Amazing, Alhamdulillah," I replied, still admiring the afterglow of the spa treatment. "Still at Aunty Humairah's though." I thanked a staff member who brought a tray of muffins for us. "Special treatment, indeed!" I whispered.

"You're welcome," Fareed chuckled. "I just picked up my outfit for tonight's event. Wushe Wushe or whatever you call it."

I rolled my eyes playfully. (Wushe Wushe, for those who don't know, is a joyous Kanuri tradition where both families come together to celebrate the upcoming wedding.)

"The problem is," I began, a slight pout forming in my lips, "we have no ride back home after the spa."

"Didn't you bring your car?" he asked with furrowed brow.

"Nope," I admitted. "Mubarak ditched on us, claiming he's busy, and Ya Sadiq isn't even in town."

He paused for a while as if in thought. Then, a smile tugged at Fareed's lips. "Don't worry, I'm actually close by. I'll swing by and pick you up."

My face lit up. "Really?"

"Consider it done," he confirmed. "I'll be there soon."

"See you soon. Love you Saahib!" I said, blowing him a kiss

"Love you more," he replied before ending the call.

"What's up?" Azrah asked.

"Fareed is close by, so he's on his way to pick us up. Let's wrap everything up before he gets here," I suggested.

"Alright then," they mumbled an agreement.

I slipped into a mint bubu cotton gown and veil. Billy, packed the bridal items into my mini suitcase. We bid farewell with the spa staff as we headed to the reception desk.

Aunty Humairah had informed me the night before that she wouldn't be at the spa early in the morning due to commitments. We said our goodbyes last night, and she mentioned we would meet in Abuja for my conveyance.