FOUR: Surprise Serenade.

Fareed Jarma

After dropping Meenah off at her house around 9 pm, I decided to head straight to NatGp Kaduna. While we had branches in various states, the main hub for Motorcycle Grand Prix racing was in the FCT, with another important branch in Lagos. The racing circuit was my sanctuary, especially on days when I need some fresh air.

Riding my powerbike was therapeutic for me, whether it involved competitive racing on the track or just cruising. The speed, the roar of the engine, and the feeling of freedom were unmatched.

I already had my jumpsuit and helmet on, standing in the garage and gearing up for a ride, suddenly a teammate of mine approached pulling me out of my reverie.

"Rjay!" he called out, and I turned to face him, nodding my head at him.

"Hey, what's up, Nitro?" He chuckled at the nickname as we exchanged handshake, but that's what he's none for best; blasting off the starting line.

"Up for a ride? I'm bored," he challenged, a smirk playing on his lips.

I couldn't resist the offer. "Sure thing bro. I'm always up for a ride." With that, I secured my helmet in place, ready to hit the track with my fellow rider.

*****

Meenah

11:30pm

I dialed his number for the umpteenth time, but it just kept ringing without an answer. I sighed in frustration and threw my phone back onto the bed. How dare he ignore me like this? When we parted ways earlier, things were still tense between us after our argument at the polo resort. But I never thought he would refuse to pick up my calls, or maybe he's just too busy. He'll probably call back soon, I thought.

Despite everything, I admit we had a wonderful time together. We went shopping and treated ourselves to a dinner at the Courtyard restaurant. To top it off, we had some delicious ice cream.

Oh Fareed...

And so, guys, that's how I ended up staying awake for a whole half an hour, trying to keep myself busy with social media until I eventually drifted off to sleep without realizing it. When Aysa woke me up next, it was already morning. So, I dragged my legs lazily to the bathroom and took a refreshing shower before coming out and getting dressed in a simple material gown.

I glanced at my phone, hoping to see a missed call or message from Fareed, but there was nothing.

*

I was in the kitchen preparing lunch with my sisters when suddenly, Bilkisu, my best friend, surprised me by jumping on my back. Startled, I let out a little yelp, almost dropping the knife I was holding. "Innalillahi, Bilkisu, when will you have some sense?" I scolded her, but she just grinned like a goofball.

"Stop complaining, I know you're happy to see me," she teased.

I couldn't help but smile despite the dirty stunt she pulled. Bilkisu and I had been friends since junior secondary school, and our bond was unbreakable. She had just returned from Bauchi, where she was doing her NYSC.

"How was Bauchi?" I asked.

"Amazing! But I missed you so much," she replied, leaning in for a warm hug.

"I missed you too." I smacked her head playfully, and she laughed.

We continued catching up in the kitchen when Ariana walked in with my phone in her hand. "Ya Meenah, your phone is ringing," she said, handing it over.