ELEVEN: APOLOGIES.

Hospitals, the worst. I hate hospitals. I've been here for two days, and the sterile environment makes me feel sick and tired. Luckily, I heard that I'll be discharged today, probably later in the afternoon. It wasn't anything serious, and I've undergone all the necessary checkups. My family visited about an hour ago to check up on me, but they've all gone back home, leaving me alone at the hospital with Billy, Aysa, and Ihsan. Aysa spends the night here with me to keep me company.

Exiting the bathroom after finishing up, I found Aysa holding my phone as if she had just ended a call. Giving her a puzzled look, I asked, "Who were you speaking with?"

"Khalil," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "He asked for the room number, so I told him, and now I think they are here."

"Are you serious?!" Billy and I exclaimed simultaneously. "Then Fareed must be here too. Wayyo! And I look like crap," I panicked, realizing I was still clad in a patient uniform

"Chill best friend, and move to the bed. He knows you're sick, so he won't bother about your looks now," Billy reasoned, gesturing towards the bed. Nodding, I settled onto the bed. Retrieving my phone, I checked myself in the camera, finding some relief that I didn't look as bad as I had imagined. Despite this, nerves still gripped me; it would be the first time seeing Fareed after our breakup.

"Ya Meenah, calm down, please," Ihsan said, and I nodded with a reassuring smile.

A soft knock echoed from the door. Billy opened it, revealing Khalil holding a big hamper gift basket packaged attractively. Stepping inside, he greeted us with a warm salam, a small smile playing on his lips.

I stared curiously, my eyes darting behind Khalil, hoping to catch a glimpse of the person I was expecting. However, Khalil closed the door behind him and walked in alone. Perhaps he left him behind to park or something—I tried to reassure myself.

"Hello, girls," Khalil greeted, passing the gift basket to Billy. She accepted it, setting it aside, before he approached me on the bed and settled onto the visitor's sofa. "Meenah, you got us all so worried," he said with a somber expression, and I offered him a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, as you can see I'm perfectly fine now," I replied, gesturing to my improved appearance. Despite my words, my heart still yearned for the door to open and for him to walk in.

"Alhamdulillah. That's good; I'm glad," Khalil said, and we engaged in conversation for a while. It was obvious that Fareed hadn't come, causing my heart to sink. This meant he still hadn't forgiven me. "Uh, Meenah, I know you were expecting to see Fareed too, but he's not here. He doesn't want you to know this, but he personally instructed me to come visit you here and check how you are doing. He would have come here himself to see you, but he's still in France because they have an important racing business to take care of. Trust me, he is really so worried about you, and if he could fly back to Nigeria this instant to see you, I'm sure he would," Khalil explained, and a lump formed in my throat as I nodded with a tight-lipped smile. Of course, his races come first, as always.

"I understand, Khalil, and thanks a lot for coming and for the gifts," I appreciated.

"You are welcome," After a while, he bid us goodbye and made his way out. I leaned my head back against the bed and sighed in disappointment.

"Meenah, don't be sad; you heard what he said. Fareed wanted to come see you but—"

"His career is on the line," I completed her statement.

"Ugh, don't be like that. You know you are more important than some stupid career. Racing means nothing to Fareed as long as you aren't in his life," she said, joining me on the bed in an attempt to cheer me up.