THIRTEEN: Fire Works And Love🎇

Banana Island,
LAGOS.

"I'm so bored!" I groaned, collapsing onto the bed next to Azrah, exclaiming my boredom. It had been three weeks since my arrival in Lagos with my mother, who had jetted off to Dubai and then Turkey with her sisters for my wedding shopping. She had left me here with General Omar's other wife, Aunty Hafsa, and her amazing kids, whom I had grown so close to in the span of days. Azrah was nineteen years old, while Maimoon was twenty one, but their vibes is a 100! They are kind, welcoming, and fun to hang out with.

Most time when we are together, you would think we were siblings from the same mom and dad. Every second spent with them was worth it because they always brightened up my day. The amazing part is how they treat my mother like she was their second mother. Their mother, Aunty Hafsa, is also very kind and makes sure to take care of me since Mama's absence.

"Oh my God, Same here! I'm bored as hell, and the lack of network today is killing me," Maimoon exclaimed while moving around every corner of the room just so she could get some network.

"Mumu, it won't work. Have you forgotten that MTN announced that they were going to shut down their service?" Azrah asked.

"Oh damn it!" She yelled, throwing the phone on the carpet.

"When will you ever possess some sense, Maimoon?" Azrah insulted.

"Stop acting like you're any better than me," she retorted.

"Clearly, I am, dumbass," Azrah rolled her eyes at her sister. The way these two were always bickering, you would think they were age mates, but Maimoon was older than Azrah by two years.

Suddenly, Maimoon's phone beeped, and she swiftly picked it up from the carpet, a smirk playing on her lips. My eyes narrowed into slits as I stared at her suspiciously. Over the past few days, I'd noticed her being unusually engrossed in her phone, signaling that something might be up.

"Why are you smiling at your phone?" I inquired, sensing there might be more to her reaction.

"What? Me? Smiling? Of course not," she defended, still acting suspicious. "There's just this friend of mine who is having a birthday party, and she wants us to attend because it's been a long time since we met," she explained, her explanation raising my skepticism even more.

"Oh yeah! Azrah chimed in, "It's Alisha's birthday, and it's only right that we attend," she added, nodding in agreement.

"Well, you guys can go. I'd rather stay at home," I said sincerely. After the incident that happened last time, I'm not willing to risk almost ruining my life again by attending such events.

"Oh Meenah, come on! It's not even a serious birthday party. Besides, we'll all be there, and if you get tired, we can head back home," Azrah urged, attempting to sway my decision.

I sighed, shaking my head, and turned my screen to them, displaying the calendar. "Listen, girls, I have less than a month until my wedding, and I'm not going to do anything to ruin my big day. So please, don't waste your breath because I'm not following you to any birthday party," I concluded, feeling a pang of annoyance. Why doesn't anyone understand my situation?

"Alright, I guess I have to do this," Maimoon said, making me look up at her puzzled. She tapped her phone, and it began ringing. In a few seconds, my mum's voice came through on speaker catching me off guard.