NINETEEN: A New Life Awaits.

WALIMAH/CONVEYANCE OF THE BRIDE.

وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ أَنْ خَلَقَ لَكُمْ مِنْ أَنْفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا ...

"And among His signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves..." (30:21).

***

I couldn't sleep last night. The realization that it would be the last time I would be sleeping in my father's house kept me tossing and turning. My mind was preoccupied with thoughts of starting a new life somewhere else, with the love of my life and building a new family. I felt excited, but at the same time, nervous, and I kept praying that I would be a good wife and daughter in-law.

In the morning as I stayed in my room, I heard a gentle knock on the door. Next, the door opened and my mother entered. She was adorned in a breathtaking emerald green lace gown with a matching veil. She walked with grace over to my bed where I was seated, and with with a smile on her face, she spoke, "The bride is locked up in her room during the final moments she spends in her father's house."

"I just decided to take a moment of rest. Besides, I informed Aunt Fati that anyone who wishes to see me can come upstairs and meet me. It's not an issue."

Suddenly, my heart sank when she announced that it was time for them to leave. Was this really it? Was my wedding over, and was everyone leaving, including me? It was a surreal moment. "Really? I thought you would wait until I was ready to leave before returning to Lagos," I asked, my voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

She shook her head gently and replied, "The wedding is over my darling, and Maimoon has her semester exams starting on Monday. Their father believes it would be best if we return today.

I nodded in understanding and they was a moment of peaceful silence, before she looked at me and spoke again, "Well Ameena, I know you're matured enough to know right from wrong, but still, it's just right for me to advise you a little. Take care of yourself and your husband, Meenah. Be his backbone, support him in whatever good he wants to do, encourage him in anything positive, stand by his side no matter what. Be the queen of his world, let him see no other woman except for you. Cook for him; I trust you on that. Get dressed beautifully, especially when he's about to return home from work. Continue supporting his career, make him think about you even when you're not there, let him wish you were by his side. In fact, I know I don't have to explain all these to you because I trust my daughter. I know who I raised, and I know she will make me proud."

I felt a surge of emotions, and tears began to well up in my eyes. "In shaa Allah Mama, but I'm really scared. What if I don't become a great wife and Fareed suddenly stops loving me? Or we break apart?" I asked, my chest already tightening up with the mere thought of that. I can't loose him. Not now, not ever.

"Look at me, darling," my mother said, and I did as she instructed. "You are going to be an amazing wife," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "And I have no doubt that Rjay is the luckiest man in the world to have you by his side. You are strong, kind, and compassionate, and you have a heart full of love that never runs dry. You will build a beautiful life together, one filled with laughter, joy, and happiness, and I cannot wait to see all the amazing things that the future holds for the two of you. I know our marriage between your father and I didn't work out, but that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. We were already destined to fall apart, but In shaa Allah, yours is different. You'll spend the rest of your life with Fareed, In shaa Allah."

Her words brought me comfort and I felt grateful to have such a loving and supportive mother by my side.

"Thank you so much, Mama. Thanks for everything you do for us," I said, a grateful smile playing on my lips as I embraced her tightly, knowing it would be our last hug for the day.