Looking (33)

Leah's P.O.V.

"COME ON RAVENGERS LET'S GET  MOVE ON!" I called up the stairs, as the 7 year old twins, Brock and Newt, came tearing around the corner. "Hey, hey, hey, quit running! Where are your shoes?"

"DUNNO!" They chimed back in unison, dashing up the back stairs.

"Can we find them please then!? LAUREL!?" Jack said, setting his backpack down by the front door.

"ALREADY ON IT!" Laurels 16yo voice called back from her bedroom in the attic.

"Aah, love her. Hey, you've got something in your hair." Jack turned my face to him, and gently kissed my lips.

"You suck," I mocked, chuckling and starting around to the kitchen. A knock on the door told me that Thomas had arrived to watch our cats while we were away. I opened the door to reveal one of my best friends.

"UNCLE THOMAS!!" Brock yelled, running full speed at him.

"AAH!" Thomas yelled, as Brock hit him, almost bowling him over. Instead Thomas' back hit the front door with a painful 'smack'.

Jack and I cackled, watching Thomas rub the back of his head, and the two of us walked back into the kitchen.

                                                                    -20 minutes later-

"Your head alright Thomas?" I asked, as he let Stevie swirl her tail around his legs.

"Yep, I'm all good." I smiled, taking a breath to give him instructions for the cats but he interrupted me. "Kreezy, I've watched your cats and or kids about 30 times. Come on, I know the drill. They'll be fine."

"Right, you're right, I know. Just take care of them." Thomas nodded, winked, and picked Stevie up.

"ANNA, COME ON WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!" Jack called from the front door.

I walked to the front door to look my husband dead in the eyes. "Jack, we're just going to my dad's place. We didn't even give him a time to expect us, we can't be late to this." Jack just rolled his eyes, mocking my words in a high pitched voice as he strode out of the house to the car.

I followed chuckling, waved goodbye to Thomas, and pulled the wooden door shut.

11 hours of driving, stops, and food later. . . "Welcome to Maryland!" I said excitedly, looking back to the kids. Seeing as it was now past 9, all of them with the exception of Laurel were asleep.

"Yaay," Laurel chimed in softly, turning the page in her book. "Are we almost there Jack?"

"Only about 20 minutes now mate." He replied, rubbing his eye. He put his hand on my thigh, and I put my hand atop his. I looked over at him, to meet his eyes. I smirked, blushing hard, and turned my focus back to the road again.

The towns got more and more familiar,  and I ended up turning off the GPS. "Oh, look, that's where the fair was where we had our first date. Not counting the ball, of course." Jack pointed out, motioning to a big empty space in the distance. 

"Laurel, never let a man convince you to go on a drop tower with him. Ever." I replied, making eye contact with my eldest daughter in the rearview mirror.

"Hey, I apologized for that."

"And I haven't accepted it!!" 

"It was 16 years ago."

"And what's your point??"  Jack squeezed my hand a little, chuckling, and shaking his head.  "Hey, the ice rink where I re-broke my ankle. That was a terrible date."