It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas (15)

Tony's P.O.V.

It was Christmas Eve, and we were wrapping something up for a case. Gibbs came in holding a cup of coffee as usual. "Hope you guys don't have any plans tomorrow, we're going to be here for a while." He said, rounding the corner, going to either Abby or Ducky. I made eye contact with both Kate and McNerdy before standing up.

"Where are you going?" Kate asked, standing up too.

"I just need to make a call," I insisted, flipping my phone open, and hitting 4 on the speed dial. Ellie picks up after 2 rings.

"Hey dad!" She said cheerily, sounding wide awake despite the fact that it was almost midnight. "What is it?"

"Why are you still awake?" I asked, leaning against the backside of the stairwell. It was around midnight.

"Oh, sorry. I was supposed to take some night photos for 4th, and I had to edit them. Then I did some preparation for our pig dissection after break. And I just finished my creative writing assignment, and am getting ready to get ready for bed." She replied in one breath.

"You are a very fast talker." I commented chuckling softly. Ellie giggled, and audibly rolled her eyes.

"What is it dad?"

"I don't know how to tell you this, so I'll just be blunt. Gibbs needs us to work tomorrow. Is that okay? I know it's Christmas, but I can't get out of it."

There was silence for a few moments. "Will you be home for 'It's a Wonderful Life'?"

"I'm not sure how long Gibbs needs me." Ellie was silent for a second.

"Okay," She ended up saying. "Well, good luck? I don't know what to say dad."

"I don't know what to say either squirt," I agreed, rubbing the back of my neck.

"We've never missed it before."

"I know, I know, I- I dunno baby." Ellie sniffed, then sighed. She inhaled shakily, then exhaled sharply.

"I hope you finish the case soon," She insisted. "If you make it home by 9:45 we can still watch it on Christmas."

"I'll try baby, I'll try okay?"

"Okay,"

"Hey don't cry," I insisted, hearing water in her eyes. "I'll be there as soon as possible. I promise. You know I love you right?"

"I do. I love you too."

"Drink some cider for me."

Ellie giggled for a moment. "Don't worry about that. Where's the cider recipe?"

"Second cabinet to the left of the stove. Top shelf."

"Thanks. I hope you came back soon. Popcorn and cider'll be waiting for you when you get back okay?"

"I look forward to it. I love you."

"I love you too." She made a kissing sound into the phone, and I made it back. "Bye,"

"Bye," I agreed, then she hung up.

I sighed, flipped my phone shut, and leaned against the back of the stairs.

McGee's P.O.V.

"I look forward to it. I love you." Silence for a second, before Tony made a kiss sound. "Bye," He shut his phone and leaned against the stairs. He ran a hand down his face, and sighed.

"Who is baby?" Kate asked. She and I were standing on the stairs above where Tony was on the phone. He jumped and looked up.

"You two are insufferable," He insisted, pointing to us both. "If you must know, that was Taylor." He said cockily, going back to our cubical.